Welcome to BetaWiki!
An open encyclopedia of software history
Did you know...
- ...that Windows XP has been supported in various forms for almost 18 years, which is the longest compared to any other version of Microsoft Windows?
- ...that the Gizmo theme that was present in Mac OS 8.5b6 originates from Copland as "Z Theme" and was intended for testing the theming service for both versions?
- ...that the United States government once filed an antitrust lawsuit against Microsoft over its decision to bundle the Internet Explorer web browser with the Windows operating system?
- ...that the Windows XP team created a decoy theme in order to prevent any leaks about Luna?
- ...that Windows 1.0 and Windows 2.x have a hidden easter egg with a list of members of the Windows team?
- ...that Apple has officially released several developer releases of what would later become Mac OS X for the x86 architecture as a part of its NeXT legacy, and secretly continued to maintain the port until Tiger?
The original WIM images of this build were first uploaded onto the Internet Archive in January 2024, followed a few days later by a full dump of the prototype's eMMC storage. Compared to the WIM images, the eMMC dump also includes internal tools such as debuggers, test suites and other development tools.
The build includes a large array of user interface reworks, as well as incremental quality-of-life changes to existing operating system functionality and the removal of several legacy features.