BetaWiki is currently under maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience caused.
|Developer(s)||Miran Grca (Battler)|
|Emulated platform||8086 through Pentium|
|Host platform||Windows (x86)|
86Box (formerly PCem-X, PCem Experimental or PCem Unofficial) is a hypervisor and IBM PC system emulator based on PCem that specializes in running old operating systems and software designed for IBM PC systems and compatibles from 1981 through fairly recent system designs based on the PCI bus. It emulates a number of computer systems together with accessories including graphics cards, network interface controllers, sound cards, storage controllers, mice and printers, which can be freely combined.
Supported guest operating systems
- MS-DOS and compatible operating systems
- Microsoft Windows versions up to Windows XP (including pre-reset Windows Longhorn builds and Windows Vista build 3790.1232)
- Linux distributions that support running at least on a Pentium
- NEXTSTEP 3.1 to 3.3, OPENSTEP 4.0 to 4.2 (including Apple Rhapsody developer releases)
- Minix-PC 1.x, 2.x
- BSD (Only FreeBSD 6.x and OpenBSD i386 tested, NetBSD/i386 has some boot issue.)
- CPU: Any CPU from an 8086/8088 to a Pentium MMX 300 MHz is supported, including IDT/Cyrix/AMD variants. Select Pentium II processors are also available. A dynamic recompiler is available, optional for 486 and WinChip and mandatory for Pentium and later processors.
- FPU: FPUs are emulated for all 486DX and higher machines. For 286/386 machines, a 287/387SX/387DX FPU can be emulated optionally. 8087 FPUs aren't supported yet.
Complete list of emulated hardware
- Hercules Plus
- Hercules InColor
- Hercules ColorPlus
- MDSI Genius
- Sigma Designs Color 400
- Wyse 700
- C&T SuperEGA
- OAK OTI-037c
- OAK OTI-067
- OAK OTI-077
- Trident TVGA8900D
- Trident TGUI9400CXi
- Trident TGUI9440AGi
- Cirrus GD5428 (ISA) to Alpine family (up to 5480 PCI)
- Tseng ET4000AX (ISA and MCA)
- Tseng ET4000/W32p (Cardex and Diamond Stealth 32)
- Various ATI cards before the Mach 64
- ATI Mach 64 (GX/VT2 variants)
- S3 Vision864 (Phoenix and Paradise Bahamas 64)
- S3 Vision964 (Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM)
- S3 Trio64 (Number Nine, Phoenix and Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM)
- S3 ViRGE (325/DX/VX variants)
- 3dfx Voodoo (original and Voodoo 2)
Network interface controllers
- 3Com 3c503 for ISA
- NE1000 compatible for ISA
- NE2000 compatible for ISA and MCA (latter as a Netware NE/2 compatible)
- Realtek RTL8019AS for ISA PNP.
- Realtek RTL8029AS for PCI
- Western Digital WD8003 series for ISA and MCA.
- PCjr and Tandy
- Game Blaster or Creative Music System
- AdLib Gold
- Sound Blaster 1.0 through AWE32 (Including select MCA models)
- Gravis Ultrasound
- Windows Sound System (ISA and MCA as NCR Business Audio)
- Innovation SSI-2001
- Ensoniq AudioPCI (ES1371)
- Sound Blaster PCI 128
- Standalone ISA MPU-401
- Standalone MCA MPU-IMC (MPU-401 for MCA)
- Xebec MFM Hard Disk controller
- DTC5150X MFM Hard Disk controller
- PC/AT (WD1003) MFM Hard Disk controller
- PC/AT (WD1007V-SE1) ESDI Hard Disk controller
- IBM PS/2 MCA ESDI Hard Disk controller
- Universal XTIDE BIOS (both 1.1.5 and 2.0.0b3)
- Acculogic XTIDE card.
- Adaptec 154x series ISA SCSI controllers (A/B, C, CF variants + BIOS)
- Adaptec 1640 MCA SCSI controller + BIOS
- Buslogic BT-54x series ISA SCSI controllers (542BH, 545S variants + BIOS)
- Buslogic BT-445S VLB SCSI controller + BIOS
- Buslogic BT-640A MCA SCSI controller + BIOS
- Buslogic BT-958D PCI SCSI controller + BIOS
- NCR 5380-based cards (Longshine, Rancho and Trantor 130B + BIOS)
- NCR 53c810 PCI SCSI controller (BIOS is embedded into the PCI-based boards)
- WD-XT150 XTA Hard Disk controller for XT compatibles, IBM PS/1 model 2011 and IBM PS/2 model 30-286
- Generic Text printer.
- Generic Epson ESC/P compatible printer.