|Latest version||6.0.8 (x64)|
VirtualBox is an x64 personal computer hypervisor originally created by Innotek GmbH from Germany. Sun Microsystems acquired Innotek in 2008 and was itself acquired by Oracle Corporation in 2010. VirtualBox can be used to run various operating systems in a window without having to install them onto the computer itself.
Originally, it was an x86 computer hypervisor, but with version 6.0, VirtualBox transitioned to an x64 application. The x86 version is still supported until July 2020.
Supported guest operating systems
A list of officially supported OSes that can run on it.
- MS-DOS and compatible operating systems
- Most Microsoft Windows versions (Guest Additions available for NT versions starting with Windows NT 4.0)
- OS/2 (there is no individual entry for OS/2 2.0, and OS/2 1.0 to 1.30.1 requires patching in order to run. Guest Additions available for OS/2 Warp 4)
- Most versions of Linux (Guest Additions available for kernel versions higher than 2.6)
- Solaris 10 and later
- Most Intel macOS versions (Mac OS X Snow Leopard and later, however only macOS hosts is officially supported to run macOS guests although their entries can still be seen outside of macOS hosts)
- Novell Netware