|Latest released version||6.1.38|
|Latest preview version||7.0.0_BETA1|
VirtualBox is an open-source personal computer hypervisor originally created by Innotek GmbH from Germany. Sun Microsystems acquired Innotek in 2008 and was itself acquired by Oracle Corporation in 2010.
Originally, it was an x86 computer hypervisor, but with version 6.0, VirtualBox transitioned to an x64 application. The x86 version was supported until July 2020.
Supported guest operating systems[edit | edit source]
A list of officially supported OSes that can run on VirtualBox.
- MS-DOS and compatible operating systems
- Most Microsoft Windows versions (Guest Additions available for NT versions starting with Windows NT 4.0)
- OS/2 (including eComStation and ArcaOS, there is no individual entry for OS/2 2.0, and OS/2 1.0 to 1.30.1 requires patching in order to run. Guest Additions available for OS/2 Warp 4, eComStation and ArcaOS)
- Most versions of Linux (Guest Additions available for kernel versions higher than 2.6)
- Solaris 10 and later
- Most Intel macOS versions (Mac OS X Leopard and later, however only macOS hosts are officially supported to run macOS guests although their entries can still be seen outside of macOS hosts) (Guest Additions available for Mac OS X Lion and higher)
- Novell NetWare
Notes[edit | edit source]
On a guest running Windows, the System Information tool (
MSINFO32.EXE) still reports "innotek GmbH" as "System Manufacturer", even on the latest versions of VirtualBox.