Windows Longhorn build 4088
|Build of Windows Longhorn|
|Timebomb||2005-01-02 (+180 days)|
Windows Longhorn build 4088 is a Milestone 7 build of Windows Longhorn. Previously only the Preinstallation Environment of this build was available until 13 January 2015 when BetaArchive user Daniel uploaded the full version of this build to the aforementioned site's FTP server.
Changes and fixes[edit | edit source]
- This build no longer shows the boot screen upon initializing Preinstallation Environment and Setup. The boot screen when starting setup and WinPE were reused in Windows Vista build 5048.
- WordPad can now be opened again, (unlike builds from 4081 to 4087).
- The shortcuts in the quick launch are now present again on the sidebar and taskbar.
Bugs and quirks[edit | edit source]
Installation[edit | edit source]
- As typical of builds in this build range, it tends to take a long time to install and can be unstable.
- Partition and format a drive from a previous or later build prior to starting installation.
- Redirections like
2>nuldon't work correctly.
- When booting to the desktop for the first time,
sploosv.exewill max out 1 CPU core.
- When booting to the desktop for the first time, Personalized Settings may hang on Theme Setup. To fix, open up Task Manager by pressing
Ctrl+Shift+Escthen, going to shutdown and restarting the system. This will reboot the machine to the desktop.
WinPE[edit | edit source]
- On some computers and virtualizers, the WinPE doesn't support the mouse, so you must use the keyboard to navigate the WinPE. This seems to be related to using a PS/2 mouse, as USB mice seems to work fine for the setup.
- Attempting to use the copy command in WinPE to copy files over from the the CD drive to a formatted Hard Drive, will cause a
- Various commands in WinPE's command prompt will not work due to
Upgrade[edit | edit source]
Attempting to upgrade from other builds is not possible, causing either of these 2 things:
- A bugcheck with error code 0x7E after the second reboot. This is commonly observed when trying to upgrade from non-componentized builds, such as 4074 (via a registry tweak that reports it as a componentized build).
- An error while copying files.
Timebomb[edit | edit source]
Unlike other Longhorn builds, it contains a broken timebomb and can be installed on the current date.
Outlook Express[edit | edit source]
- Outlook Express does not start due to registry errors and certain dependencies on WinFS.
Explorer[edit | edit source]
- CD, DVD and floppy drives behave like local disks.
- Help and Support crashes Explorer.
- Explorer will crash after adding the display tile in sidebar and won't launch again. A workaround is to create a new account via cmd.
Control Panel[edit | edit source]
- Hardware and Devices folder does not open.
- By default, the Phone and Modem Options Control Panel applet name is empty.
- When launching Computer Management, there is a chance that script errors will be displayed relating to missing registry entries.
Hardware / Drivers[edit | edit source]
- This build will randomly access the floppy drive.
- On some boots, Windows may not detect the CD/DVD drive.
- Enable VGA Mode after installing video drivers or the system will result in a blue screen of death with the error code
TCP/IP bug[edit | edit source]
- The TCP/IP stack can tend to malfunction, as it will result in a BSOD with the error code
Windows Product Activation[edit | edit source]
- Windows Product Activation is missing.
Safe mode[edit | edit source]
- The Safe mode is completely broken and results in a bugcheck with code 0x7B. This is because the
Safebootkey, located in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Controlis largely incomplete and missing a lot of entries. Restoring the key from a build with working safe mode enables this build to boot in safe mode, but the display is not initialized properly which leads to no video output (which is seen as a black screen).
Other bugs[edit | edit source]
- Task Manager is known to hang when launching a new task.