Windows Longhorn build 4088
|Build of Windows Longhorn|
|Timebomb||2005-01-02 (+180 days)|
Windows Longhorn build 4088 is a Milestone 7 build of Windows Longhorn, the Professional SKU variant of which was uploaded to BetaArchive's FTP server on 13 January 2015. Prior to its upload, only the Preinstallation Environment of this build was available, whereas a screenshot of the full build was posted onto the aforementioned website's forums on 16 October 2011, along with screenshots of builds 4001 and 4084.
Changes and fixes[edit | edit source]
- This build no longer shows the boot screen upon initializing Preinstallation Environment and Setup. The boot screen when starting setup and WinPE was reused in Windows Vista build 5048.
- A new version of DWM is included, rewritten in .NET managed code. It can be enabled using the instructions found on the Windows Aero page.
- WordPad can now be opened again after being broken from builds 4081 to 4087.
- The shortcuts in the quick launch are now present again on the sidebar and taskbar.
- The CD/DVD/USB icon image now appears on the AutoPlay dialog.
- Compatibility options have been readded after being absent in previous componentized builds since build 4081.
Bugs and quirks[edit | edit source]
Installation[edit | edit source]
- As typical of builds in this build range, it tends to take a long time to install and can be unstable.
- Various commands in WinPE's command prompt such as formatting a drive will not work due to
- Redirections like
2>nuldo not work correctly.
- When booting to the desktop for the first time,
spoolsv.exewill max out 1 CPU core.
- When booting to the desktop for the first time, Personalized Settings may hang on Themes Setup. To fix the issue, open up Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+⇧ Shift+Esc, then restart the system. This will reboot the machine to the desktop. Alternatively, terminating
regsrv32.exeis also known to work (although this causes the system to enable the Windows Classic theme).
- During the second stage of Setup, Task Scheduler throws out an error. However, the installation continues normally.
Upgrade[edit | edit source]
- Attempting to upgrade from other builds is not possible as one of two outcomes may occur:
- A bugcheck with error code
0x0000007Eafter the second reboot. This is commonly observed when trying to upgrade from non-componentized builds, such as build 4074 (via a registry tweak that reports it as a componentized build).
- An error during the file copy phase.
WinPE[edit | edit source]
- The mouse driver in this build's WinPE does not function on specific hardware configurations or hypervisors, and may require a keyboard to navigate through the installation procedure. This issue appears to be largely related to using a PS/2 mouse, as most ordinary USB mice appear to function properly in setup.
- Attempting to use the copy command in WinPE to copy files over from the CD drive to a formatted Hard Drive will cause a
Unlike other Longhorn builds, it contains a broken timebomb and can be installed on the current date. However, before installation, machine time will still be checked and verified.
Outlook Express does not start due to registry errors and certain dependencies on WinFS.
- CD, DVD, and floppy drives appear and behave like local disks.
- As a result of this, the system continously throws out notifications about low disk space.
- Help and Support crashes Explorer.
- Explorer will crash after adding the display tile in sidebar and won't launch again. A workaround is to create a new account via
- On first boot after Setup, some texts in Explorer and taskbar will appear as empty square symbols. This bug only happens on first boot and will go away after a restart.
- When the Aero taskbar and sidebar are enabled, the Taskbar erroneously uses the Sidebar background.
- The sidebar notifications and system tray doesn’t render correctly.
- Hardware and Devices folder does not open.
- By default, the Phone and Modem Options Control Panel applet name is empty.
- When launching Computer Management, there is a chance that script errors will be displayed relating to missing registry entries.
Hardware / Drivers[edit | edit source]
- This build will randomly access the floppy drive (if present).
- On some boots, Windows may not detect the CD/DVD drive.
- On some computers, the system will bugcheck with code
0x000000B4after installing the video driver. To fix this, enable VGA mode in the startup options.
TCP/IP bug[edit | edit source]
- The TCP/IP stack tends to malfunction, as it will result in a bugcheck with the error code
The Windows Product Activation component is missing due to the componentization. An incomplete rewritten one in .NET-managed code and Avalon would be reintroduced in build 4093.
- The Safe mode is completely broken and results in a bugcheck with code
0x0000007B. This is because the
Safebootkey, located in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Controlis largely incomplete and missing a lot of entries. Restoring the key from an earlier build with working safe mode allows this build to boot properly, but the video driver will not initialize properly. As a result, the operating system will freeze as it transitions into graphical mode, so Safe Mode is currently known to not work on these pre-reset Longhorn componentized builds.
Other bugs[edit | edit source]
- The Task Manager in this build has a chance of hanging when launching a new task if Windows Explorer is not running.
- When shutting down, restarting or logging off, there is a chance that the system will refuse to log off and get stuck on the
Logging off...screen. Should this happen, shut down the system by pressing the power button once. This will trigger the Emergency Shutdown function and shut off the system.
- The color depth is set to 16-bit by default, rather than 32-bit. This also appears in build 4093.
- The Quick Launch and Classic Tray tiles exhibit an unique bug in this build, as each icon is displayed in a different row.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Setup[edit | edit source]
Pre-starting setup with build tag
Interface[edit | edit source]
System Properties and
Themes[edit | edit source]
Image(s) published prior to upload[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- bashar2000. Unleak Longhorn Builds, BetaArchive. 16 October 2011.