Windows Longhorn build 4081
|Build of Windows Longhorn|
|Timebomb||2004-10-30 (+180 days)|
Windows Longhorn build 4081 is a Milestone 7 build of Windows Longhorn. On 2020-01-23, this build was listed in a BetaArchive thread by UX.Unleaked blog founder Grabberslasher. This build was released on 2020-01-27 in the fourth set of his 33 Longhorn/Vista builds along with build 5098.
This build is the first componentized build of Longhorn, meaning many core features from previous builds have been removed. These features were scheduled to be added in subsequent versions of the operating system, leaving what remains the bare minimum to run the system. While more stable than the later componentized builds, installation takes significantly longer than previous builds.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- CD and DVD drives behave like local disks.
- The Windows Classic theme will not function due to a broken
- Although DWM is present and can be activated by pressing Ctrl+Shift+F9 as in Windows Server 2008 build 4066, it will black screen due to a broken DirectX installation. It can be fixed by extracting dxnt.cab from the DirectX 9.0b installer for Windows XP (9.0c may also work), manually installing each inf file found within (Right-click -> Install, answer No to any file overwrite prompts), and copying the extracted files into the System32 directory (again say No to any overwrite prompts).
- Safe mode is broken and displays a BSOD.
- WordPad and Outlook Express won't start due to bugs.
- Help and Support results in an