Windows Longhorn build 4084
|Build of Windows Longhorn|
|Timebomb||2004-11-23 (+180 days)|
Windows Longhorn build 4084 is a Milestone 7 build of Windows Longhorn. The full build was uploaded to BetaArchive on 16 October 2011. Previously, only the Preinstallation Environment of this build was available.
This build is mostly componented and only includes a few features, running at the bare minimum working configuration.
Fixes[edit | edit source]
- The Sounds control panel applet is now present again.
- Device Manager is able to install or update drivers again, (unlike builds from 4081 to 4083).
Bugs and quirks[edit | edit source]
Installation[edit | edit source]
- As typical of builds in this build range, it tends to take a long time to install and can be unstable.
- Partition and format a drive from a previous or later build prior to starting installation.
No mouse driver in WinPE[edit | edit source]
On some computers and virtualizers, the WinPE doesn't support the mouse, so you must use the keyboard to navigate the WinPE. This seems to be related to using a PS/2 mouse, as USB mice seems to work fine for the setup.
Upgrade[edit | edit source]
Attempting to upgrade from other builds is not possible as one of two outcomes may occur:
- A bugcheck with error code 0x7E after the second reboot. This is commonly observed when trying to upgrade from non-componentized builds, such as 4074 (via a registry tweak that reports it as a componentized build).
- An error during the file copy phase.
WordPad[edit | edit source]
WordPad does not start, as it will display with
Failed to create empty document instead.
Outlook Express[edit | edit source]
Outlook Express does not start due to registry errors and certain dependencies on WinFS.
Themes[edit | edit source]
- The Windows Classic theme will not function due to a broken
Explorer[edit | edit source]
- CD and DVD drives behave like local disks.
- Help and Support crashes Explorer.
- Explorer will crash after adding the display tile in sidebar and won't launch again. A workaround is to create a new account via cmd.
Control Panel[edit | edit source]
- Hardware and Devices folder does not open.
- Task Scheduler from Control Panel shows a nameless folder and generic folder icon.
- By default, the Phone and Modem Options Control Panel applet name is empty.
- Computer Management displays script errors due to missing registry entries.
Graphics[edit | edit source]
Enable VGA Mode after installing video drivers or the system will result in a blue screen of death with a error code
Windows Product Activation[edit | edit source]
Windows Product Activation is missing.
Safe mode[edit | edit source]
The Safe mode is completely broken and results in a bugcheck with code 0x7B. This is because the
Safeboot key, located in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control is largely incomplete and missing a lot of entries. Restoring the key from a build with working safe mode enables this build to boot in safe mode, but the display is not initialized properly which leads to no video output (which is seen as a black screen).