Windows Longhorn build 4084
|Build of Windows Longhorn|
|Timebomb||2004-11-23 (+180 days)|
Windows Longhorn build 4084 is a Milestone 7 build of Windows Longhorn. The full build was uploaded to BetaArchive on 16 October 2011. Previously, only the Preinstallation Environment of this build was available.
This build is componentized, which is typical for this build range, meaning many core features from previous builds have been removed and introduced several bugs. These features were scheduled to be added in subsequent versions of the operating system, leaving what remains the bare minimum to run the system.
Changes[edit | edit source]
- The properties of a file are no longer displayed in a Explorer window, but rather in the classic design seen in earlier Windows versions.
Fixes[edit | edit source]
- The Sounds control panel applet is now present again.
- Device Manager is able to install or update drivers again, unlike builds from 4081 to 4083.
Bugs and quirks[edit | edit source]
Installation[edit | edit source]
- As typical of builds in this build range, it tends to take a long time to install and can be unstable.
- Various commands in WinPE's command prompt such as formatting a drive will not work due to
Upgrade[edit | edit source]
Attempting to upgrade from other builds is not possible as one of two outcomes may occur:
- A bugcheck with error code 0x7E after the second reboot. This is commonly observed when trying to upgrade from non-componentized builds, such as 4074 (via a registry tweak that reports it as a componentized build).
- An error during the file copy phase.
WinPE[edit | edit source]
- The mouse driver in this build's WinPE does not function on specific hardware configurations or hypervisors, and may require a keyboard to navigate through the installation procedure. This issue appears to be largely related to using a PS/2 mouse, as most ordinary USB mice appear to function properly in setup.
WordPad[edit | edit source]
WordPad does not start, as it will display with
Failed to create empty document instead.
Outlook Express[edit | edit source]
Outlook Express does not start due to registry errors and certain dependencies on WinFS.
Themes[edit | edit source]
- The Windows Classic theme does not function due to a broken
Explorer[edit | edit source]
- CD and DVD drives behave like local disks.
- As a result of this, the system continously throws out notifications about low disk space.
- Help and Support crashes Explorer.
- Explorer will crash after adding the display tile in sidebar and won't launch again. A workaround is to create a new account via
- When the Aero taskbar and sidebar are enabled, the Taskbar erroneously uses the Sidebar background.
Control Panel[edit | edit source]
- Hardware and Devices folder does not open.
- Task Scheduler from Control Panel shows a nameless folder and generic folder icon.
- By default, the Phone and Modem Options Control Panel applet name is empty.
- Computer Management displays script errors due to missing registry entries.
Hardware / Drivers[edit | edit source]
This build will randomly access the floppy drive.
Graphics[edit | edit source]
Enable VGA Mode after installing video drivers or the system will bugcheck with error code
Windows Product Activation[edit | edit source]
The Windows Product Activation component is missing due to the componentization. An incomplete rewritten one in .NET-managed code and Avalon would be reintroduced in build 4093.
Safe mode[edit | edit source]
The Safe mode is completely broken and results in a bugcheck with code
0x0000007B. This is because the
Safeboot key, located in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control is largely incomplete and missing a lot of entries. Restoring the key from an earlier build with working safe mode allows this build to boot properly, but the video driver will not initialize properly. As a result, the operating system will freeze as it transitions into graphical mode, so Safe Mode is currently not known to work on these pre-reset Longhorn componentized builds.