macOS Big Sur
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Version of macOS|
macOS Big Sur (11.0) is an upcoming version of macOS. It will be the first version to support the new ARM-based SoC architecture of future Macs.
New features[edit | edit source]
- Completely redesigned the interface.
- Control Center from iOS is included.
- Notification Center redesigned, now featuring interactive notifications and a new Widget system.
- Support for iOS and iPad OS apps on Apple silicon (Apple SoC) hardware.
- Cryptographically signed system volume.
- Software updates can now be done in the background.
- Return of the startup sound, can be toggled via an option in System Preferences.
- New bilingual dictionaries.
- Improved predictive input for Chinese and Japanese language users.
- New fonts for Indian users.
- A new "Listen Now" feature in the Podcasts app.
- Several new features in Safari, these include a customizable start page, built-in translation, and a Privacy Report feature to let users know what trackers each webpage is using, as well as page previews and an ability to import passwords from Google Chrome.
- A new Messages app that has the ability to pin up to nine conversations, search for messages, name and photo sharing, use photo logos for group chat, mention individuals, support for inline replies, support for Memoji stickers, a new photo editor and localized message effects for users that live in India.
- New features for the Mac App Store, these include a privacy information section, a new category for Safari extensions and third-party Notification Center widgets.
- Notes now has a collapsible pinned section, quick text style and formatting options and scanning enhancements.
- The Photos app has improved editing capabilities, as well as an improved Retouch tool.
- The Maps app now has the "Look Around" street panorama feature first implemented in iOS 13.