BetaWiki is currently under maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience caused.
MacOS High Sierra
macOS High Sierra is a version of macOS developed by Apple. It was released on 2017-09-25. This version introduces various changes to core macOS components, including a new filesystem (APFS) designed to replace the older HFS+ filesystem used in every macOS release prior to it. This version also introduced separate updates (BridgeOS) for the ARM co-processor included in certain Macs.
- APFS is a new filesystem that replaces HFS+ and uses Copy-on-Write, containers, and encryption to increase performance on SSDs
- A new Metal API, including additional support for VR headsets and external GPUs
- Updates to the Photos app
- New privacy tools in Safari, including Intelligent Tracking Prevention
- New H.265 (HEVC) decoder service (with additional hardware acceleration on certain Macs)
- New HEIF decoder service for HEIC-formatted images
- Support for FLAC and Ambisonics file formats
- Swift 4 support (in Xcode 9)