Windows Vista build 5098
|Build of Windows Vista|
|Timebomb||2006-09-30 (+459 days)|
Windows Vista build 5098 is a pre-Beta 1 build of Windows Vista, and is one of the last builds compiled before the Beta 1 stage. By this point, Microsoft implemented a substantial amount of features originally planned for Windows "Longhorn", thus ending the Omega-13 milestone.
Before it was leaked, Paul Thurrott used screenshots of this build in his review of Windows Vista Beta 1, and UX.Unleaked also has a few images of it available. On 23 January 2020, this build was listed on a thread by UX.Unleaked founder Grabberslasher to be released to the BetaArchive FTP, and was later released in the fourth set of his 33 Longhorn/Vista builds on 27 January 2020, along with build 4081.
Setup[edit | edit source]
Setup has received many major uplifts. A new "Windows is copying files" screen now appears upon booting into setup, and the overall theme has been changed drastically to a more bluish-like style. Upon reaching the beginning of setup, an autorun prompt will appear with the options of either installing Windows, repairing a Windows installation, or reading notes. Upon installing Windows the user is greeted with a familiar, but slightly altered layout, alongside the new theme. A new upgrade page has also been added if booting off of the disc, however it isn't functional since it isn't possible to upgrade without being inside Windows at this current stage. The review and adjust page has been cut down massively, and is now referred to as the "your installation settings" page. The second stage is identical to the pre-reset hardware setup screen, with the wallpaper replaced. WinPE now uses the Windows 2000 color scheme.
New features and changes[edit | edit source]
- A shutdown timer, similar to that found in Windows Longhorn build 4093, has been added.
- Windows XP screensaver is replaced with Windows® screensaver and now shows the Windows Longhorn flag instead of the former.
- Although Outlook Express reports itself as version 6, it contains a few new features that aren't found in the RTM of Outlook Express 6, such as a new search bar.
- Image Mastering API 2.0 has been implemented.
- Castle service has been implemented.
Internet Explorer[edit | edit source]
This is the earliest leaked build of Windows Vista to contain a beta build of Internet Explorer 7. Although the icon used in certain builds of IE 7 was found as early as Windows Server 2008 build 4066, IE itself was still a build of IE 6.
This build of IE 7 already contains many new features and changes, including:
- The new icon replacing most areas with the old IE 6 icon (though not all areas) and many more new icons
- New loading animation
- Updated search engine and menu bar content.
Games Explorer[edit | edit source]
This is the first post-reset build of Windows Vista to introduce Games Explorer (first known as Games Center in pre-reset builds of Longhorn).
User Interface[edit | edit source]
In comparison with build 5048, this build was a much more significant advancement with regards to introducing new user interface features:
- This build updated the Windows Aero theme, making it look very similar to the RTM version. With a patched uxss.exe made by ComputerHunter, it is possible to use DWM in hypervisors such as VMware. Otherwise, DWM would only initiate with LDDM drivers, requiring the use of physical hardware with a DirectX 9 capable graphics card that has LDDM driver support
- The Aero Basic theme has been updated, now showing more distinctive buttons, slightly different shading colors and slightly different font colors. The theme still has numerous differences when compared to the RTM version.
- Icons are now larger and the Recycle Bin icon resembles that of the RTM.
- The arrow that minimizes the tray area in taskbar is removed. Every tray icon is now shown by default.
- The Luna theme have been removed in this build.
- Login screen has been updated to use a similar style as setup.
- Start menu shows the user picture again.
Add Printer Wizard[edit | edit source]
- Wizard no longer shows the "Welcome to Add Printer Wizard" page after launching it.
- You can now enter location and comment properties for the printer to share.
New Control Panel Applets:[edit | edit source]
- Auxiliary Display (later known as Windows SideShow)
- Windows Parental Controls (re-added from pre-reset Longhorn builds)
- Solutions to Problems
Windows Help and Support[edit | edit source]
- A homepage button and an ask button have been added to the toolbar.
- Guided help has been added.
SafeDocs[edit | edit source]
This build is the first to include SafeDocs, which will later be known as Windows Backup (it's also mentioned as Windows Backup (BETA) in various places such as Start Menu).
Bugs and quirks[edit | edit source]
Installation[edit | edit source]
The build is not installable on a partition formatted using setup without restarting due to the hard drive "unavailable" bug.
Windows Media Player[edit | edit source]
Windows Media Player will crash upon exiting during its first startup.
File Explorer[edit | edit source]
Computer folder in File Explorer may sometimes not display the list of drives. Refreshing the folder usually fixes the problem.
Taskbar tab position bug[edit | edit source]
Taskbar tabs appear squished and aligned right-to-left (instead of the opposite) when Aero with glass effect is enabled.