Windows Vista build 5112
|Build of Windows Vista|
|Timebomb||2006-09-30 (+437 days)|
Windows Vista build 5112 is the official Beta 1 build of Windows Vista. This build was officially released on 27 July 2005. It is one of the first Beta 1-class builds to be compiled, and certainly, the first Vista build to become widely available.
At this point in development, Microsoft had decided that Windows Vista would be the final name of the operating system, hoping to boost the image and perception of the product among end users.
Jim Allchin himself expressed his feelings for the name, stating:
"'Vista' creates the right imagery for the new product capabilities and inspires the imagination with all the possibilities of what can be done with Windows – making people’s passions come alive."
However, the name Longhorn was still used in numerous areas, such as within the About Windows dialog box, registry entry for Winlogon, and in the boot screen. This is to be expected, considering the point at which this build was compiled (it was compiled two days before the announcement of the name change to Vista). The name Vista was only mentioned on the desktop watermark.
Setup[edit | edit source]
Although setup is mostly similar to the last build of Vista, the hardware portion of setup now contains a dummy progress bar yet again, which simply moves to the right by its own, until it reaches the end where it'll go back to the start and repeat the same action. It also includes a new setup background.
New features and improvements[edit | edit source]
Aero Theme Updates[edit | edit source]
- The Aero theme gained a slight update from 5098, featuring more distinct borders and fixed text color on some windows, though it still requires a LDDM driver, and as such it will only work on real hardware.
New Aero Wizards[edit | edit source]
- Create Shortcut wizard is added.
- Map Network Drive wizard.
New Services[edit | edit source]
- Castle LNA Service
Virtual Folders[edit | edit source]
New BitLocker features[edit | edit source]
Full Volume Encryption[edit | edit source]
- Windows Full Volume Encryption API (fveapi.dll)
- FVE Auto Convert Utility (fveauto.exe)
- FVE Utility (fveconv.exe)
- Windows Full Volume Encryption Tool (fvetool.exe)
New Apps[edit | edit source]
- Guided Help
- Two new icons have been added to the desktop, one leading to a supplemental driver installer that simply installs drivers made for Windows XP that aren't ready to work on this build yet, while the other is a shortcut to a document talking about Avalon and Indigo.
Network Projection Features[edit | edit source]
- Broadcasting a presentation,
- Connecting to a network projector,
- Viewing a presentation
- Adjusting settings.
New Control Panel Applets[edit | edit source]
- Auxiliary Display (Windows SideShow)
- Portable Devices (there are two of them in the 32-bit Control Panel)
- Indexing and Search Options
- Solutions to Problems (Problem Reports and Solutions)
- Windows Parental Controls
- Pen Properties
- Tablet Settings
Other New Features and Improvements[edit | edit source]
- IMAPI (Image Mastering API) 2.0
- Improved Category Mode in Category Mode
- List Pane for Static Lists
- Media Foundation Protected Pipeline
- New documentation in the Help and Support Center
- Recycle Bin icon now faces left and it's bigger.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- Apps shown on the taskbar may appear at the very end of the taskbar.