Windows Vista build 5112
|Build of Windows Vista|
|Timebomb||2006-09-30 (+437 days)|
Windows Vista build 5112 is the official Beta 1 build of Windows Vista. This build was officially released on 27 July 2005. It is one of the first Beta 1-class builds to be compiled, and certainly, the first Vista build to become widely available.
At this point in development, Microsoft had decided that Windows Vista would be the final name of the operating system, hoping to boost the image and perception of the product among end users.
Jim Allchin himself expressed his feelings for the name, stating:
"'Vista' creates the right imagery for the new product capabilities and inspires the imagination with all the possibilities of what can be done with Windows – making people’s passions come alive."
However, the name Longhorn was still used in numerous areas, such as within the About Windows dialog box, the registry entry for Winlogon, and on the boot screen. This is to be expected, considering the point at which this build was compiled (it was compiled two days before the announcement of the name change to Vista). The name Vista was only mentioned on the desktop watermark.
Build 5099 or later is required to upgrade to this build.
Setup[edit | edit source]
Although setup is mostly similar to the previous build, the hardware portion of setup now contains a dummy progress bar again. WinPE now uses the Windows Classic theme.
New features and improvements[edit | edit source]
- List Pane for Static Lists
- Media Foundation Protected Pipeline
- The ability to create a list from the New section in context menus is removed.
- Hibernation settings have been added to Power Options.
Aero theme updates[edit | edit source]
- The Aero theme gained a slight update from 5098, featuring more distinct borders and fixed text color on some windows. Using a patched uxss.exe file created by ComputerHunter, it is possible to initiate DWM with XPDM drivers. Otherwise, DWM could only be initialized with LDDM drivers, requiring the use of physical hardware with a LDDM-compatible graphics card (or a LDDM-compatible graphics card passed through to a VM using hypervisors such as QEMU).
Full Volume Encryption[edit | edit source]
- Windows Full Volume Encryption API (fveapi.dll)
- FVE Auto Convert Utility (fveauto.exe)
- FVE Utility (fveconv.exe)
- Windows Full Volume Encryption Tool (fvetool.exe)
New apps[edit | edit source]
- Two new icons have been added to the desktop, one leading to a supplemental driver installer that simply installs drivers made for Windows XP that aren't ready to work on this build yet, while the other is a shortcut to a document talking about Avalon and Indigo.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- Although this build can partition as intended during setup, the partitioning page doesn't refresh properly, requiring you to reboot your system in order to see the new partition.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- A dummy progress bar moves to the right by its own, until it reaches the end where it would go back to the start and repeat the same action.