Windows 8 build 7997
|Build of Windows 8|
|Timebomb||2012-03-15 (+316 days)|
Editions and keys[edit | edit source]
|Edition / SKU Name||Key|
|Prerelease (edition upgrade only)||VKKC6-NQQQH-JW3QX-XRVKX-KJJK9|
Redpill[edit | edit source]
This build showcases evolution from the previous build.
- Metro in this build is fairly similar to build 7989.
- The on-taskbar user tile, a feature since build 7791, still exists.
- The two ColorSets present within build 7989 have been expanded to a full set of 24, which could be changed either via the OOBE or from the registry.
- The Applications folder is not available in this build.
- The Immersive Reader now functions properly.
- New transition effects appear when switching from the Start screen to desktop and vice-versa.
- The "VanUI" placeholder was replaced with a functional network charm.
- Lock screen wallpapers make their first appearance in this build.
- It is now possible to use a picture password.
- Lastly, the Start screen tiles now have a gradient style, rather than a flat style.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- To install or run this build in VMware Workstation, you must set the hardware compatibility to versions 8.x or 9.x; otherwise, a partially garbled system crash message will appear upon boot, which will say "Your computer needs to restart. Please hold down the power button", such as error 0x0000001E or 0x0000000A. This error would occur right when the system kernel takes over the startup process but immediately crashes.
- The boot screen has rendering issues when starting setup, showing both the loading files and boot screen at once.
- "Connect" in the charms bar does not work and Windows Explorer will crash after clicking it.
Start screen[edit | edit source]
- Similar to build 7989, you have the option to uninstall the desktop from the Start screen.
- Desktop is referred to as Desktop.Ink on the Start screen.