Windows 8 build 7997
|Build of Windows 8|
|Timebomb||2012-03-15 (+316 days)|
Windows 8 build 7997 is a build of Windows 8 that was uploaded to BetaArchive on 29 May 2020 in the x64 architecture.
Editions and keys[edit | edit source]
|Edition / SKU||Key|
Changes[edit | edit source]
General[edit | edit source]
- When booting via UEFI, an OEM-provided graphic from ACPI tables will be displayed instead of the Betta fish.
- Help and Support Center received new in-app icons.
- This build identifies as "Windows Beta" when the Prerelease SKU is used, likely an early name for the Windows Developer Preview; and technically incorrect, as the actual beta build of Windows 8 was 8250.
Redpill[edit | edit source]
- Metro in this build is fairly similar to build 7989.
- The two ColorSets present within build 7989 have been expanded to a full set of 24, which could be changed either via the OOBE or from the registry.
- Lock screen wallpapers make their first appearance in this build.
- It is now possible to use a picture password.
- Start screen tiles now have a gradient style, rather than a flat style.
- New transition effects appear when switching from the Start screen to desktop and vice-versa.
- The Immersive Reader now functions properly.
- The "VanUI" placeholder was replaced with a functional network charm.
Bugs and quirks[edit | edit source]
Installation[edit | edit source]
- To install or run this build in VMware Workstation, you must set the hardware compatibility to versions 8.x or 9.x; otherwise, a bugcheck will occur.
- The boot screen has rendering issues when starting setup, showing both the loading files and boot screen at once.
- This build can't be installed or run on newer versions of VirtualBox. It will refuse to boot with a black screen with an error code of either 0x0000001E or 0x0000000A. This bug persists until build 8176.
Start screen[edit | edit source]
- Similar to builds 7985 and 7989, an option to "uninstall" the desktop from the Start screen is present but does not function.
- Desktop is referred to as Desktop.lnk on the Start screen.
Charms bar[edit | edit source]
"Connect" in the charms bar does not work and Windows Explorer will crash after clicking it.
Miscellaneous[edit | edit source]
The Applications folder is not available in this build.