Windows 8 build 7997
|Build of Windows 8|
|Timebomb||2012-03-15 (+316 days)|
Editions and keys[edit | edit source]
|Edition / SKU Name||Key|
Changes[edit | edit source]
General[edit | edit source]
- Help and Support Center received new in-app icons.
Redpill[edit | edit source]
- Metro in this build is fairly similar to build 7989.
- The two ColorSets present within build 7989 have been expanded to a full set of 24, which could be changed either via the OOBE or from the registry.
- Lock screen wallpapers make their first appearance in this build.
- It is now possible to use a picture password.
- Start screen tiles now have a gradient style, rather than a flat style.
- New transition effects appear when switching from the Start screen to desktop and vice-versa.
- The Immersive Reader now functions properly.
- The "VanUI" placeholder was replaced with a functional network charm.
- The Applications folder is not available in this build.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
Installation[edit | edit source]
- To install or run this build in VMware Workstation, you must set the hardware compatibility to versions 8.x or 9.x; otherwise, a partially garbled system crash message will appear upon boot, which will say "Your computer needs to restart. Please hold down the power button", such as error 0x0000001E or 0x0000000A. This error would occur right when the system kernel takes over the startup process but immediately crashes.
- The boot screen has rendering issues when starting setup, showing both the loading files and boot screen at once.
Start screen[edit | edit source]
- Similar to builds 7985 and 7989, you have the option to "uninstall" the desktop from the Start screen.
- Desktop is referred to as Desktop.lnk on the Start screen.
Charms bar[edit | edit source]
"Connect" in the charms bar does not work and Windows Explorer will crash after clicking it.