Windows 8 build 7878
|Build of Windows 8|
|Timebomb||2011-07-01 (+239 days)|
Windows 8 build 7878 is a build of Windows 8, which was uploaded on 4 June 2021. Prior to being shared, seven screenshots of this build were included with the original upload of build 7746.
Editions and keys[edit | edit source]
|Edition / SKU||Key|
New features and changes[edit | edit source]
- The File History feature, originally known as History Vault, has been introduced in this build.
- The modern setup client first introduced in build 7814 now includes a progress bar and has the ability to go online to check for updates.
This copy of Windows is not genuinewatermark no longer appears on the desktop.
Redpill[edit | edit source]
Immersive features[edit | edit source]
- The Start screen tiles are now colored, and the Metro Horizon has been removed, although its resources are still present in
- Right-clicking on a tile now shows a menu with several options.
- Pattern logon is available if you set
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersionto 1, however there's no option to use it on the login screen.
- A new OOBE has been introduced.
- A new AutoPlay dialog has been added, which is just the exact same as Windows 7 but larger.
Bugs and quirks[edit | edit source]
Installation[edit | edit source]
- The messages shown when setup is starting, installing or upgrading Windows, restarting the computer or preparing the OOBE are cut off.
- This build can't be installed or run on newer versions of VirtualBox, as a bugcheck will occur. This bug persists until build 8176.
Out-of-box experience[edit | edit source]
Attempting to select a network type will result in a driver unload bugcheck. To work around this issue, remove or disable any network adapters before booting into OOBE.
General[edit | edit source]
- If using VMware Workstation versions 15.x or above, attempting to restart or shutdown in this build will cause a softlock. To fix this, use the Power menu from the VM section.
- Certain visual elements in select MMC snap-ins (such as Services) may use the Wingdings font.
- An unassigned file association error may occur if certain options in the Start tile drop-down menu are selected.
Arial[edit | edit source]
This build uses the Arial font for the title bar and watermark because of a typo in the
Aero[edit | edit source]
This build appears to have a slightly broken Windows Aero theme, with only the top portion of the window frame using the blur effect, leaving the side borders transparent.
Personalization[edit | edit source]
Changing personalization options may occasionally crash File Explorer. This is caused by
InputSwitch.dll and can be fixed by replacing the file with a copy from build 7875.
Language Bar[edit | edit source]
The new language bar is mostly broken in this build and only works on rare occasions. It may occasionally spawn an empty, non-functional button between the notification area and the current date/time.
Redpill[edit | edit source]
Enabling Redpill after upgrading from build 7875 will cause Windows Explorer to not respond when trying to load the Start menu and enter a crash loop. Using Redlock option 2 instead will enable Redpill features excluding the Start menu.
Desktop Window Manager[edit | edit source]
The Windows Basic and the High Contrast themes do not properly render due to the enforcement of the DWM Aero theme.