Windows Vista build 5284 (vbl_media_ehome)
|Build of Windows Vista|
|Timebomb||2006-06-14 (+178 days)|
Windows Vista build 5284 (vbl_media_ehome) is the first available eHome OEM build of Windows Vista, which was shared by BetaArchive user marcoguy on 19 December 2016. Since this is an eHome build, there are features dedicated to this development branch, mostly for Windows Media Center.
This is the last released build of Windows Vista to have at least one Longhorn reference (other than the boot screen), and to be compiled in 2005. However, "Longhorn" was still used for the Starter SKU until build 5310 and for Windows Server 2008 until build 6001.16648.
Editions and keys[edit | edit source]
|Edition / SKU Name||Key|
Setup[edit | edit source]
Since this is an eHome build, a
Media Center Diamond Take Home DVD Launcher will appear upon booting into setup, giving you the option of running setup manually or installing from the DVD launcher. This DVD launcher replaces the setup autorun that appears usually upon boot.
If manually installing, you will essentially go through the same setup layout as previous builds of Vista. This setup layout is practically the same as previous builds of Vista, asides from the EULA being changed once again.
If using the DVD launcher to set up, you will be given a warning before proceeding to format the hard drive. If choosing to continue, you will be taken straight to the copying files page. After restarting, it's essentially the same procedure as manually installing.
Manual setup[edit | edit source]
DVD launcher setup[edit | edit source]
New features and changes[edit | edit source]
User Interface[edit | edit source]
- The sound tray icon has been updated to a simplistic flat-white one.The volume flyout has also been updated.
- The sound tray icon now shows even if there are no sound drivers installed.
- Date and Time tray's hover date preview has been minorly updated.
- "Learn more about Windows Genuine Advantage" link has been added to All Programs in Start menu.
Applications[edit | edit source]
- The Sidebar process was introduced back into this build, however it is non-functional.
- Windows Fax and Scan received a glossy toolbar design and a new app icon.
- Windows Photo Gallery received new in-app icons and an overhauled toolbar.
- Gallery Viewer has received minimal additions (a drop-down menu and a link that takes you to Photo Gallery).
- Windows Media Player 11 has updated playback buttons, which resemble those found in the RTM.
- Windows Poker (later known as Hold 'Em) has been added. It would later be changed to an ultimate extra in the RTM build due to it being a gambling game.
- Internet Explorer 7 has a new button next to the star before the tabs section, which resembles a + symbol. The menu bar has also been disabled by default.
Miscellaneous[edit | edit source]
- The Scheduled Tasks MMC has been overhauled.
- The duplicated "logon" screensaver has been removed.
- IDW Logging Tool was re-added.
File differences[edit | edit source]
The following files have been introduced, renamed or removed compared to build 5270 Ultimate:
|ftlx0411.dll||Microsoft(R) Japanese Word Breaker||18.104.22.16850|
|ftsearch.dll||Microsoft® Full Search||22.214.171.12453|
|FXSEXT32.DLL||Microsoft Fax Exchange Command Extension||6.0.5284.0|
|icardie.dll||Microsoft Information Card IE Helper||7.0.5284.0|
|idwlog.exe||Build and Setup Tally Program||6.0.5284.0|
|iedw.exe||IE Crash Detector||6.0.5284.0|
|ImagingDevices.exe||Imaging Devices Control Panel||6.0.5284.0|
|lpksetup.exe||Language Pack Installer||6.0.5284.0|
|Old filename||Old description||New filename||New description||Version|
|FileSharingPart.dll||File Sharing for Spaces||WinCollabFile.dll||Windows Collaboration File Sharing||6.0.5284.0|
|SpacesContainer.exe||Code Name: Windows Collaboration||WinCollab.exe||(same description)||6.0.5284.0|
|fvetool.exe||Windows Full Volume Encryption Tool||6.0.5270.9|
Bugs and quirks[edit | edit source]
Installation[edit | edit source]
- This build cannot be upgraded as setup will fail to copy the temporary files.
$OEM$folder in the
/sourcesfolder must be deleted or setup will fail with an "An error occurred while copying privates" message, whether you're upgrading or not.
- Whilst partitioning on a clean drive, you will not be able to format the hard drive without restarting, due to the hard drive "not being ready".
- The wallpaper gets changed to img24 when upgrading from Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
Shutdown[edit | edit source]
Much like build 5270, the shutdown sound is cut off during playback.
Help and Support Center[edit | edit source]
Control Panel[edit | edit source]
- Text to Speech settings will crash when launched.
- When selecting "scrnsave" in screensaver settings, it throws a blank error window.