Windows Vista build 5284 (vbl_media_ehome)
|Build of Windows Vista|
|Timebomb||2006-06-14 (+178 days)|
Windows Vista build 5284 (vbl_media_ehome) is a Beta 2 build of Windows Vista, which was shared by BetaArchive user marcoguy on 19 December 2016. Since this is an eHome build, there are features dedicated to this development branch, mostly for Windows Media Center.
Editions and keys[edit | edit source]
|Edition / SKU Name||Key|
Setup[edit | edit source]
Since this is an eHome build, a Media Center DVD Launcher will appear upon booting into setup, giving you the option of running setup manually or installing now from the DVD launcher. This DVD launcher replaces the setup autorun that appears usually upon boot.
If manually installing, you will essentially go through the same setup layout as previous builds of Vista. This setup layout is practically the same as previous builds of Vista, asides from the EULA being changed once again.
If using the DVD launcher to set up, you will be given a warning before proceeding to format the hard drive. If choosing to continue, you will be taken straight to the copying files page. After restarting, it's essentially the same procedure as manually installing.
Manual setup[edit | edit source]
DVD launcher setup[edit | edit source]
New features and changes[edit | edit source]
- This build has a few new icons, such as the sound tray icon being updated to a simplistic flat-white one.
- Relating to the sound tray icon, this also shows even if there are no sound drivers installed. It also has a new volume popup, which is similar to that found in the RTM.
- The sidebar process was introduced back into this build, however it is non-functional.
- Windows Explorer has been organized in a more cleaner design and also has new icons.
- Windows Photo Gallery received new in-app icons and an overhauled toolbar.
- Windows Fax and Scan received a glossy toolbar design and a new app icon.
- Gallery Viewer has received minimal additions (a drop-down menu and a link that takes you to Photo Gallery)
- "Learn more about Windows Genuine Advantage" link has been added to All Programs in Start menu.
- The duplicated "logon" screensaver has been removed.
- Date and Time tray's hover date preview has been minorly updated.
- IDW Logging Tool was re-added.
- Windows Poker (later known as Hold'em) game has been added, but was later changed to an Ultimate Extra in the RTM build due to it being a gambling game.
[edit | edit source]
The start menu has received a few minor uplifts. The icon of the hibernate button has been changed, alongside its color. The icon for the user's profile picture is now inside the start menu range itself, rather than popping out. For this very reason, the start menu is slightly larger by default than aforementioned builds.
Internet Explorer[edit | edit source]
A new button next to the star before the tabs section has been added, which resembles a + symbol. It is an addition to the pre-existing star button, which manages favorite websites even further. The toolbar underneath the tabs has been removed too.
File differences[edit | edit source]
The following files have been introduced, renamed or removed compared to build 5270 Ultimate:
|ftlx0411.dll||Microsoft(R) Japanese Word Breaker||18.104.22.16850|
|ftsearch.dll||Microsoft® Full Search||22.214.171.12453|
|FXSEXT32.DLL||Microsoft Fax Exchange Command Extension||6.0.5284.0|
|icardie.dll||Microsoft Information Card IE Helper||7.0.5284.0|
|idwlog.exe||Build and Setup Tally Program||6.0.5284.0|
|iedw.exe||IE Crash Detector||6.0.5284.0|
|ImagingDevices.exe||Imaging Devices Control Panel||6.0.5284.0|
|lpksetup.exe||Language Pack Installer||6.0.5284.0|
|Old filename||Old description||New filename||New description||Version|
|FileSharingPart.dll||File Sharing for Spaces||WinCollabFile.dll||Windows Collaboration File Sharing||6.0.5284.0|
|SpacesContainer.exe||Code Name: Windows Collaboration||WinCollab.exe||(same description)||6.0.5284.0|
|fvetool.exe||Windows Full Volume Encryption Tool||6.0.5270.9|
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- Help and Support will not launch properly and will either crash Windows Explorer or itself.
- Text to Speech settings will crash when launched.
- When selecting "scrnsave" in screensaver settings, it throws a blank error window.
Installation[edit | edit source]
- This build cannot be upgraded as setup will fail to copy the temporary files. Alongside, the $OEM$ folder in the /sources folder must be deleted or setup will fail with an "An error occurred while copying privates" message, whether you're upgrading or not.
- Whilst partitioning on a clean drive, you will not be able to format the hard drive without restarting, due to the hard drive "not being ready".