Windows Server 2008 build 4066
|Build of Windows Server 2008|
|Timebomb||2004-08-24 (+180 days)|
Windows Server 2008 build 4066 is a pre-reset build of Windows Server 2008, which was originally described by Grabberslasher in his UX.Unleaked blog entry on 1 May 2008 and was later uploaded to BetaArchive on 20 December 2008.
It is the fourth and last available build based on the pre-reset code, the others being builds 4028, 4031 and 4038. In a similar fashion to builds 4031 and 4038, this build uses the older i386 installation method.
Features[edit | edit source]
In spite of this build being only available as a server edition, it notably contains many features that are more typical of builds of its client counterpart.
Desktop Window Manager[edit | edit source]
- Glass - It can be activated by using the keyboard shortcut CTRL+SHIFT+F9.
- Aurora - Can be activated by using the 3D view option found on the View Options menu.
- Phodeo - Can be activated by using the Panorama option found on the View Options menu.
- Sidebar - Contains most of the tiles used in the later build 4074.
- Windows Media Player - a version that was apparently intended to replace the traditional app bundled with Windows (in this case Windows Media Player 9, which is disabled by default). This build also includes a sidebar tile of said app. Run
C:\WINDOWS\floatingPlayer.exeto open it.
- Panorama, Carousel and LVSpy can be enabled by merging the below entries into the registry:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer] "Carousel"=dword:00000001 "LVSpy"=dword:00000001 "Panorama"=dword:00000001
- Aero Stars - Identical to what is seen in build 4074 of its client counterpart. Disable the sidebar, unlock the taskbar and then merge the below values into the registry.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer] "MILDesktop"=dword:00000001
MILRender[edit | edit source]
- MILRender is present in this build. It includes functional Aero Stars and extended Aero.
Notifications[edit | edit source]
This is the only available pre-reset build in which the transparent Aero notifications function.
Bugs and quirks[edit | edit source]
Windows Explorer crashes in a loop by default under safe mode since the sidebar tiles are enabled by default. A prompt will appear titled "Desktop" and will ask to proceed to work in safe mode or start System Restore. Clicking either button will not perform any action and will bring up another exact prompt instead. The desktop will not appear with the prompt and Explorer may not launch. The only workaround is to remove all the sidebar tiles from the registry:
- Open the Registry Editor from Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
- Navigate to
- Collapse the "Tiles" folder, and then remove all the sidebar tiles from the registry.
Additionally, when Windows Explorer is running in Safe Mode, clicking on Log Off from the start menu or initializing the Shut Down dialog box via Alt+F4 on the desktop with Safe Mode, it will bring up another exact prompt. So to log off, shut down, or restart, press the CTRL+ALT+DEL key and then click on "Log Off", "Shut Down", or the ">" button for more options.
Explorer[edit | edit source]
- Explorer can randomly crash for no reason under normal use.
SKU[edit | edit source]
- This build's SKU oddly identifies itself in branding as Standard Server, while the true one being Enterprise Server.
Installation[edit | edit source]
- On some computers and virtualization software, setup cannot format the drive, as it results in an "Unknown Hard Error" BSOD.
- A clean install is highly recommended, but it is possible to upgrade to this build.
- The title for every Setup Wizard's stage freezes at Regional and Language Options, or Installing Devices if the user presses the Shift + F11 keys to invoke the installation progress window.
Upgrade[edit | edit source]
To upgrade to this build from Windows Server 2008 build 4031 you must edit
dosnet.inf in the i386 folder and ensure that
ProductType = 5. Then you must replace the following files and directories with copies from the RTM build of Windows Server 2003.
- If upgrading to this build, you will need to ensure that
ialmnt5.sysdoes not exist in
system32\drivers. Leaving this file will cause a
REGISTRY_ERRORrelating to this file, and rebooting will corrupt the registry, making it impossible to reboot back into setup.
- On some machines, you will get stuck at the login screen as you are unable to press
Ctrl+Alt+DeleteTo fix this:
- Boot into Safe Mode.
- Load up Task Manager.
- Go to file > New Task.
- Type in gpedit.msc
- Go to Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options
Interactive Logon: Do not require CTRL+ALT+DELand change it to enabled.
- Reboot the machine.
Note: Logging in to this build may take several minutes after an upgrade.
- There is a chance that setup could fail during an upgrade as