Windows Server 2008 build 4066
|Build of Windows Server 2008|
|Timebomb||2004-08-24 (+180 days)|
Windows Server 2008 build 4066 is a pre-reset build of Windows Server 2008. This build was originally described by Grabberslasher in his UX.Unleaked blog entry on 1 May 2008 and leaked on 20 December 2008.
This build is the fourth leaked build based on the pre-reset code, the others being builds 4028, 4031 and 4038. This build uses the older i386 installation method like in builds 4031 and 4038. This build is often mistakenly identified as a Windows Longhorn build when in fact it is a Windows Longhorn Server (Windows Server 2008) build.
Features[edit | edit source]
Although it was described a "Server" build, it contained features typically seen in Longhorn client builds. These include:
- Desktop Window Manager
- Glass - It can be activated by the keyboard shortcut "Ctrl+Shift+F9".
- Aurora - "3D view" option on View Options.
- Phodeo - "Panorama" option on View Options.
- Sidebar - Contains most of the tiles seen in build 4074.
- Windows Media Player - a version of WMP that was apparently intended to replace the traditional one bundled with Windows (in this case WMP9, which is disabled by default). This build also includes a WMP tile. Run C:\WINDOWS\floatingPlayer.exe to open it.
- Panorama, Carousel and LVSpy can be enabled by merging these below into the registry.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer] "Carousel"=dword:00000001 "LVSpy"=dword:00000001 "Panorama"=dword:00000001
- Aero Stars - Identical to 4074. Disable Sidebar, unlock the taskbar and then merge these below into the registry.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer] "MILDesktop"=dword:00000001
MILRender[edit | edit source]
An early version of MILRender is found in this build. It includes Aero stars effects and extended Aero, as seen in 4074.
Notifications[edit | edit source]
This is the only leaked pre-reset build in which the transparent Aero notifications work.
Bugs and quirks[edit | edit source]
- On some computers and virtualization software, setup cannot format the drive, as it results in an "Unknown Hard Error" BSOD.
- This build cannot be upgraded from a previous build, and can only be clean installed.
- The title for every Setup Wizard's stage freezes at Regional and Language Options, or Installing Devices if the user presses the Shift + F11 keys to invoke the installation progress window.