Windows Longhorn build 4042 (Lab06_n)
|Build of Windows Longhorn|
|Timebomb||2004-03-07 (+180 days)|
Windows Longhorn build 4042 (Lab06_n) is one of the first Milestone 7 builds of Windows Longhorn. It was first described by Grabberslasher in his UX.Unleaked blog on 7 July 2008, and was later shared on BetaArchive on 25 April 2011.
New features and changes[edit | edit source]
- The boot screen/safe to shutdown screen has been updated and now uses the older, colored Windows logo used in Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. It also uses the Segoe UI font, meaning this build is the first one to ever use the font. The white Windows logo is still used on the Start button when the sidebar is disabled, and on the winver and "About Program" dialogs.
- Each user's desktop wallpaper will also be applied to the lock screen for that account.
- The Pig Latin version name has been changed to "Longhorn Professional".
- Many parts of the user interface have been heavily revamped for a cleaner UI.
- The login screen has been modified to fit the Slate theme, with a gray-bluish background.
- In the Start menu, some folder locations have had the 'My' dropped from their names, although not all; the 'My Documents' folder goes to the traditional shell location, whereas the 'Documents' folder goes to the library system similar to that found in Windows 7.
- This is the first leaked build to contain the Online Photo Print wizard.
- The "3D View" option in Explorer (and thus the Panorama and Carousel view styles) are no longer accessible. Many sidebar tiles present in Milestone 3-6 builds have also been removed.
- This build contains a new app called "StickyNotes". This application is hidden at the
\Windows\WinSxSfolder. Unlike in build 4074, Stickies work by simply dragging an empty text file onto the StickyNote icon.
- A background reminiscent from the one used in build 3683 was added.
Slate[edit | edit source]
This build marks the debut of the new Slate theme, which was first seen publicly in the various 4050 builds during the PDC 2003 conference, and the official PDC build, build 4051. It seems to be the forerunner to Windows Vista's Windows Aero theme, and it features a gray theming (as opposed to Plex's blue; Plex was never intended as a complete theme, but rather as a placeholder).
Sidebar[edit | edit source]
To coincide with the major facelifts made towards the user interface, the sidebar and its existing tiles have also seen a number of design updates.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- Sometimes, when shutting down,
rundll32.exewill throw out errors.
Installation[edit | edit source]
On some computers and virtualizers, this build can't be installed from CD boot as is. You must use the WinPE from a different build, or upgrade from a previous build.