Windows Longhorn build 4042 (Lab06_n)
|Build of Windows Longhorn|
|Timebomb||2004-03-07 (+180 days)|
Windows Longhorn build 4042 (Lab06_n) is one of the first Milestone 7 builds of Windows Longhorn. It was first described by Grabberslasher in his UX.Unleaked blog on 7 June 2008, and was later shared on BetaArchive on 25 April 2011. It is the last available build of the pre-reset Longhorn to have the ability to customize the login screen background.
New features and changes[edit | edit source]
- The boot screen bitmap has been updated: apart from using again the same, colored Windows logo found in Windows XP. It also uses the Segoe UI font (previously used in the default wallpapers of Milestone 5 and 6 builds and added as a font in build 4020).
- The alternative
AUTOCHKboot screen now has a color scheme of black and grey, with little shades of blue, replacing the previous color scheme which was in use since Windows Server 2003 build 2467 and Windows XP build 2469. Also, the Windows logo at the top has been removed, only leaving the Longhorn wordmark.
- The whole user interface has been revamped: the welcome screen sports a new background with a gray-blue gradient and has been generally updated to fit the new Slate theme, which replaced Plex in the role of placeholder for the back then heavily secured Aero theme. Some parts of the UI still show traces of the older Plex theme though, as it can be seen in the Windows setup itself, the bitmap of the "About Windows" dialog box, the "Longhorn Screen Saver" or in some Aero wizards.
- The default wallpaper has been changed to a new one reminiscent of the one found in build 3683.
- Each user's desktop wallpaper will also be applied to the lock screen for that account.
- The product name string in the build tag does not use Pig Latin anymore, thus showing "Longhorn Professional".
- It is no longer possible to move the sidebar to the top or bottom edge of the screen. Moreover, crucial parts of the code for some sidebar tiles have been removed in this build, only to be found again in build 4066. As a result of that only the Classic Tray, Clock, People, Quick Launch, Slide Show and Sync tiles are available.
- In the Start menu, some folder locations have had the "My" dropped from their names, although not all; the "My Documents" folder goes to the traditional shell location, whereas the "Documents" folder goes to the library system similar to that found in Windows 7.
- The "Carousel", "Panorama" and "3D View" view modes found in earlier builds have been removed from Windows Explorer.
- DWM is present in this build and can be initialized by running
\WINDOWS\I386\sbctl.exe start. Running
\WINDOWS\I386\sbctl.exe stopwill stop DWM. It is worth noting that DWM tends to be unstable and can potentially crash the
winuxservice after an extended period of time.
- A "Sticky Notes" application can be found in the
\WINDOWS\WinSxSfolder. Dragging an empty text file onto
StickyNote.exewill launch the application. Sticky notes support either typing or handwriting, resizing and colorization. The "Options" menu option appears to be grayed out, and the audio controls don't seem to work. If more than one sticky note was created, there will only be a single taskbar button for all of them.
- A new Order prints online wizard is accessible by clicking the homonymous task found in Windows Explorer folders such as "My Pictures" or in the "Photos and Videos" library.
- This build of Longhorn includes an early version of Buddy Matchmaker, labeled as "Play A Game With Friends".
- ClearType is now disabled by default after being enabled in Milestone 6 builds.
- Windows Installer has been updated from version 2.0 to 4.0.
Bugs and quirks[edit | edit source]
General[edit | edit source]
In certain cases,
rundll32.exe may stop responding or throw out errors when shutting down the system.
Disabling the Sidebar will make the Start button show the older white Windows logo, in addition to bringing back the "start" text.
Installation[edit | edit source]
On some computers and virtualizers, this build can't be installed from CD boot as is. To fix this, a different preinstallation environment from a different build must be used.
Luna theme[edit | edit source]
The Start menu when the Olive Green Luna theme is used uses the wrong resources, where it shows a bar instead of an arrow seen in the blue and silver variants.