Windows Longhorn build 4042 (Lab06 n)
|Build of Windows Longhorn|
|Timebomb||2004-03-08 (+181 days)|
Windows Longhorn build 4042 (Lab06_n) is one of the first Milestone 7 builds of Windows Longhorn. It was first described by Grabberslasher in his UX.Unleaked blog on 7 July 2008, and it eventually leaked to BetaArchive on 25 April 2011.
Setup[edit | edit source]
Setup overall is mostly similar to previous builds of Longhorn.
New features and changes[edit | edit source]
- The boot screen/safe to shutdown screen has been updated and now uses the older, colored Windows logo used in Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. The white Windows logo is still used in the Start button when the Windows Sidebar is disabled, and on the winver and "About Program" dialogs.
- The Pig Latin version name has been changed to "Longhorn Professional".
- Many parts of the user interface have been heavily revamped for a cleaner UI.
- The login screen has been modified to fit the Slate theme, with a gray-bluish background.
- In the Start menu, some folder locations have had the 'My' dropped from their names, although not all; the 'My Documents' folder goes to the traditional shell location, whereas the 'Documents' folder goes to the library system similar to that found in Windows 7.
- This is the first leaked build to contain the Online Photo Print wizard.
- The "3D View" option in Explorer (and thus the Panorama and Carousel view styles) are no longer accessible. Many sidebar tiles present in Milestone 3-6 builds have also been removed.
- This build contains a new app called "StickyNotes". This application is hidden at the
\Windows\WinSxSfolder. Unlike in build 4074, Stickies work by simply dragging an empty text file onto the StickyNote icon.
- A background reminiscent from builds 3663 to 3708 has been added.
Slate[edit | edit source]
This build marks the debut of the new Slate theme, which was first seen publicly in the various 4050 builds during the PDC 2003, and the official PDC build, build 4051. It seems to be the forerunner to Windows Vista's Windows Aero theme, and it features a gray theming (as opposed to Plex's blue; Plex was never intended as a complete theme, but rather as a placeholder).
Sidebar[edit | edit source]
- Relating to the user interface receiving major uplifts, the sidebar has been majorly updated. Not only that the classic tray and quick launch tiles aren't shown by default, but there's a much smaller option of tiles to include. Tiles, such as the clock tile, have also received major uplifts.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- When shutting down, rundll32.exe will error out.