Windows Longhorn build 4067 (idx01)
|Build of Windows Longhorn|
|Timebomb||+180 days after original install date|
Windows Longhorn build 4067 (idx01) is a Milestone 7 build of Windows Longhorn, which was uploaded to BetaArchive's FTP server on 11 July 2021 only in the IA-64 architecture. It is notable for being the last known build to use the "Ripe Field" Bliss wallpaper as the default wallpaper, first introduced in build 4042 (Lab06_N). In addition, it is also the last known build to have working 3D views such as the Panorama view.
This build was compiled in evaluation mode and can be installed on the current date. Attempting to log onto the desktop once the timebomb has been triggered will return the user to the login screen.
New features and changes[edit | edit source]
Segoe UI[edit | edit source]
This is the earliest available build to use the Segoe UI font as its default font, which was also incorporated in post-reset builds of Longhorn and later Microsoft operating systems.
Avalon[edit | edit source]
This is the first known non-x86 compile of Longhorn that contains a near-complete implementation of Avalon. Components such as the sidebar and Explorer preview pane are included.
3D Views[edit | edit source]
The Panorama, Carousel and LVSpy views can be enabled by merging the following values into the registry. The Carousel view only enlarges icons, with no other noticeable effect.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer] "Carousel"=dword:00000001 "LVSpy"=dword:00000001 "Panorama"=dword:00000001
Preview Pane[edit | edit source]
The Preview Pane has been tweaked since its third redesign, as first seen in Windows Server 2008 build 4066. While still lacking any real functionality, the mode switch button has been changed into a smaller label button.
Search[edit | edit source]
A new Search option is visible in the left-hand filters pane. It is titled "Search In", implying the future ability to search and filter in areas other than the current folder.
Aero[edit | edit source]
- The Desktop Window Manager may still be activated on capable hardware by using the keyboard shortcut CTRL+SHIFT+F9.
- MILRender is present in this build. While it includes functional Aero Stars, glass cannot be tested at this time due to a lack of compatible hardware.
Other changes[edit | edit source]
- “Jade” visual style: While the Slate theme is still present, it also contains the new Jade theme that is also present in builds 4066 until 4093.
- New icons: Many of the icons were replaced with new, more modern icons, such as the My Computer and Internet Explorer icons. However, similarly to post-reset build 5048, the Control Panel and Printers and Fax icons are from Windows 95. The correct Control Panel icon is shown only in some places of the operating system such as the start menu.
Bugs and quirks[edit | edit source]
- This build is highly prone to unrecoverable hangs; a hard reset of the machine may be required in most cases.
- Because this build lacks WinFS, applications dependent on the framework (such as Outlook Express), alongside with WinFS-provided virtual folders/libraries, do not function. WinFS-related folders can be removed from the Computer system folder through the use of registry editing.
- Due to the heavier nature of 64-bit binaries, Explorer will consume a copious amount of memory right after logging in, even with advanced features such as the Sidebar disabled.
- Explorer group headers are chopped off at the bottom when using the Jade theme, as is the case in build 4066.
- Minor graphical artifacts may be observed within the Explorer interface if the sidebar is enabled.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Most screenshots in this gallery are courtesy of BetaArchive member linuxlove.
Winver with CMD