Windows Longhorn build 4083
|Build of Windows Longhorn|
|Timebomb||2004-11-12 (+180 days)|
Windows Longhorn build 4083 is a Milestone 7 build of Windows Longhorn. Originally, only the x64 version of this build leaked on 10 November 2004 until 1 February 2020, where the x86 version was leaked by Grabberslasher, founder of the UX.Unleaked blog.
The x64 version of this build is a test for the use of the Preinstallation Environment under the x64 architecture. The x64 version has no default wallpapers (besides the bitmap backgrounds), which is why there is only solid colors by default. It contains the new "tree" wallpaper that would be used in subsequent builds.
Fixes and removed features[edit | edit source]
- The folder creation bug from build 4074, build 4081, and build 4082 has been fixed in this build.
- Removed unmanaged-DWM (
Bugs and quirks[edit | edit source]
Installation[edit | edit source]
As typical of builds in this build range, it tends to take a long time to install and can be unstable.
No mouse driver in WinPE[edit | edit source]
On some computers and virtualizers, the WinPE doesn't support the mouse, so you must use the keyboard to navigate the WinPE. This seems to be related to using a PS/2 mouse, as USB mice seems to work fine for the setup.
Upgrade[edit | edit source]
Attempting to upgrade from other builds is not possible as one of two outcomes may occur:
- A bugcheck with error code 0x7E after the second reboot. This is commonly observed when trying to upgrade from non-componentized builds, such as 4074 (via a registry tweak that reports it as a componentized build).
- An error during the file copy phase.
WordPad[edit | edit source]
WordPad does not start, as it will display with
Failed to create empty document instead.
Outlook Express[edit | edit source]
Outlook Express does not start due to registry errors and certain dependencies on WinFS.
Themes[edit | edit source]
- The Windows Classic theme will not function due to a broken
Explorer[edit | edit source]
- CD and DVD drives behave like local disks.
- Help and Support crashes Explorer.
- Explorer will crash after adding the display tile in sidebar and won't launch again. A workaround is to create a new account via cmd.
Control Panel[edit | edit source]
- Hardware and Devices folder does not open.
- Sounds Control Panel applet is missing.
- Task Scheduler folder from Control Panel shows a nameless folder and generic folder icon.
- By default, the Phone and Modem Options Control Panel applet name is empty.
- Computer Management displays script errors due to missing registry entries.
- Device Manager has a bug that drivers can't be updated due to the Hardware Wizard Control Panel applet is missing. You can install drivers by using
devconutility from the Windows XP Driver Development Kit (DDK), or copy the
hdwwiz.cplfrom another build to the
WINDOWS\SYSTEM32directory in order to get the updating drivers via Device Manager to work.
Graphics[edit | edit source]
Enable VGA Mode after installing video drivers or the system will result in a blue screen of death with a error code
Windows Product Activation[edit | edit source]
Windows Product Activation is missing.
Safe mode[edit | edit source]
The Safe mode is completely broken and results in a bugcheck with code 0x7B. This is because the
Safeboot key, located in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control is largely incomplete and missing a lot of entries. Restoring the key from a build with working safe mode enables this build to boot in safe mode, but the display is not initialized properly which leads to no video output (which is seen as a black screen).
Additional issues for x64 build[edit | edit source]
- The fans will automatically run at max speed.
- Opening Device Manager will result in huge CPU usage.
Timebomb[edit | edit source]
The x64 version of this build has a broken timebomb and can be installed on the current date. Even if the x64 version timebomb is triggered, it can still log you on without trouble, but however, it will trigger a bugcheck with error code
0x00000098 after a while.
Explorer[edit | edit source]
- Help and Support does not open.