Windows 98 build 1400
|Build of Windows 98|
|Timebomb||1997-06-01 (+97 days)|
Windows 98 build 1400 is a Beta 1 build of Windows 98.
New features and changes[edit | edit source]
- It includes several updates to Windows Setup.
- This build has a show desktop button at the end of the taskbar. This feature was removed by 1423. This feature remained absent for eleven years, until Windows 7 build 6568 reintroduced it, with the same functions as this build's button along with a new feature called Aero Peek. The Windows 7 incarnation is still present today (although Aero Peek is disabled by default).
- An "Enable Sound" checkbox at the bottom left corner of Windows Setup is included, however, the functionality is not yet in place.
- The sidebar layout is now used in the second stage of installation, and Setup now performs the final stage of configuration without a reboot.
- Internet Explorer integration is also new in this build, changing some core UI functionality.
winveris labeled as "About Internet Explorer", rather than "About Windows".
- The Start menu banner text has been replaced, now reading "IE4 Preview Release". This has been replaced in the next builds with either "Memphis" or "Memphis Beta 1", but has been readded in build 1532.
- Paint is now capable of utilizing three colors at once when holding the Ctrl key.
- There is now a native button to choose a second color for title bar gradients in Display Properties. Much like build 1387, the button is only displayed if one of the title bar attributes is selected.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
ACPI[edit | edit source]
ACPI support is in very early development and crashes easily. Turn off ACPI or setup can crash during hardware setup with a red screen of death (used in early builds for ACPI errors).