Windows XP build 2474 (main)
|Build of Windows XP|
|Timebomb||2001-11-04 (+180 days)|
Changes[edit | edit source]
- Most Whistler references have been replaced with Windows XP.
- Added an animated Windows flag on the login screen, which would later be removed in build 2481.
- Graphical Setup now identifies itself as "Windows XP RC1" and now contains a progress bar when upgrade setup is restarting the computer.
- The safe to shutdown screen was updated to now include Windows XP-style branding. It replaces the version that was previously in use since build 2257.
- The icons in classic Start menu have been shrunken in size and the banner received its final appearance.
- Dynamic Update in setup received a new icon, unique for this and the next build.
- Added five new sample pictures that aren't present in previous builds. The Winter sample picture is introduced for the first time starting with this build, albeit with slight visual differences and a different name, Winter forest.
- Updated the throbber that is used in Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer and Outlook Express to the Windows XP logo, replacing the one in use since Windows 98.
- This is one of the first builds to use the modern Windows XP Logo Testing implementation, this can easily be seen when upgrading to this build as almost all hardware will result in the warning that such hardware may not work and cause instability.
- Some of the icons were updated and changed.
- The BSOD and
AUTOCHKscreen font was changed to
Lucida Consolerather than the kernel mode font used in Windows 2000.
- Quick launch in the taskbar is disabled by default.
- The illustration images for the new and classic Start menu in the taskbar properties have been updated to their final appearance.
- The taskbar is now locked by default.
- The "Windows XP" animation at the start of the OOBE was introduced.
Boot screen[edit | edit source]
A new boot screen was added to replace the Whistler version in use since build 2428. The only differences from the RTM boot screen are the following:
- There is a breathing "loading..." string instead of the animated blue bar seen in build 2481.
- A "version 2002" label is present, which was removed in build 2485.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
Installation[edit | edit source]
- When upgrading to this build, setup may complain that the network driver cannot be found. Pointing to
driveletter:\windows\system32\driversand then pressing OK will typically resolve this error.