Windows Vista build 5212 (winmain)
|Build of Windows Vista|
|Timebomb||2006-09-30 (+431 days)|
This is the leaked winmain compile, and it's not to be confused with the vbl_ux_dev_checkin compile.
Editions and keys[edit | edit source]
|Edition / SKU Name||Key|
|Home Basic N||CDV26-DG6DG-7DY4J-GHXPR-W8YMT|
|Professional Standard N||KFBH3-BX3DC-9YFWJ-Y9D7V-TPCJY|
Setup[edit | edit source]
Although setup is similar to aforementioned builds of Vista, the autorun prompt upon booting into setup now fits more perfectly on the screen and is positioned correctly. Fonts used in the first page of setup also now use anti-aliasing once again.
Changes and new features[edit | edit source]
- The watermark now states Beta 2 rather than Beta 1.
- The Avalon/Indigo and fundamental drivers shortcuts have now been removed.
- Upon right clicking on applications, a new "Run Elevated..." prompt will appear. This essentially runs applications under administrative privileges.
- Option to create a list returns in this build.
- Speech Recognition control panel applet is added.
- System Restore is added to System Tools subfolder in Accessories folder in Start Menu.
- Flicks Introduction Wizard is added.
- Pen Flick Gestures tray menu is added.
- Tablet Settings control panel applet is added.
Windows Media Center[edit | edit source]
- Windows Media Center is included in this build, and it features a drastically different look compared to the one featured in Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.
- It is also included on the taskbar by default.
- Although Media Center is installed, media enhancement tools from Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 are not installed.
- Unlike the final build, Media Center is still included inside a folder in this build.
Windows Calendar[edit | edit source]
- Windows Calendar has been added.
- It looks so basic compared to the final version.
Windows Help and Support[edit | edit source]
- New arrows are added.
- Working offline option is added.
- Search box is now in middle and now says "Search for help" instead of "Search".
Windows Photo Library[edit | edit source]
- This build also includes the earliest version of Windows Photo Gallery, called Windows Photo Library (and it's based on another Microsoft product, Microsoft Digital Image Library).
- A wizard appears when you open the app for the first time, asking you if you want to import anything.
- Windows Photo Library about box has a reference to Microsoft Digital Image Library in the version banner.
- Ability to retouch photos isn't implemented in this build.
- The file description in Windows Explorer mentions the app as "Microsoft Digital Image 2007 Library".
Flip3D[edit | edit source]
This is the first leaked build to introduce what was known as Flip3D. It contains similar functionality to ALT+TAB, however it now utilizes the Desktop Window Manager in this build and creates a 3D flipping effect in between all of the applications currently open, thus the name "Flip3D". Flip3D can be used via pressing WIN+SPACE, rather than WIN+TAB which was used in later builds.
Windows Sidebar[edit | edit source]
This build is the first post-reset build of Windows Vista to reintroduce Windows Sidebar. Rather than working inside explorer.exe (which caused memory leaks), this time the Sidebar runs in its own process.
Gadgets are mentioned as "Parts" inside the user folder. There are four gadgets: Clock, RSS Feed, Photo Slideshow and Search.
In this build, the Sidebar doesn't start automatically upon booting up.
Tablet PC Components[edit | edit source]
- This build includes Windows Tablet PC components (Sticky Notes, Inkball and Windows Journal).
- New section in the context menu now has an option for creating a Windows Journal file.
- "Notes" folder is added to the Documents folder which contains .jnt files (regarding Windows Journal).
- Pen Properties control panel applet is added.
Services[edit | edit source]
Added services[edit | edit source]
- Block Level Backup Engine Service
- Castle (readded from build 5098)
- Fast User Switching Compatibility
- Link Layer Topology Discovery Mapper
- Media Center Extender 2 Service
- Media Center Receiver Service
- Media Center Scheduler Service
- Pen Service (due to Tablet PC component integration)
- Windows Color System Service
Removed services[edit | edit source]
- IAS Jet Database Access
- Idwlog Service
- WMI Performance Adapter
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- If launching the Sidebar process and then terminating it, the watermark may not position itself correctly.
- If recycling something or adding something to the recycle bin, the icons won't change unless you log out and log back in.