Windows Vista build 5212 (winmain)
|Build of Windows Vista|
|Timebomb||2006-09-30 (+431 days)|
Editions and keys[edit | edit source]
|Edition / SKU Name||Key|
|Home Basic N||CDV26-DG6DG-7DY4J-GHXPR-W8YMT|
|Professional Standard N||KFBH3-BX3DC-9YFWJ-Y9D7V-TPCJY|
Setup[edit | edit source]
Although setup is similar to aforementioned builds of Vista, the autorun prompt upon booting into setup now fits more perfectly on the screen and is positioned correctly. Fonts used in the first page of setup also now use anti-aliasing once again.
New features and changes[edit | edit source]
- The watermark now states Beta 2 rather than Beta 1.
- The Avalon/Indigo and fundamental drivers shortcuts have now been removed.
- Upon right clicking on applications, a new "Run Elevated..." prompt will appear. This essentially runs applications under administrative privileges.
- Speech Recognition applet has been added to Control Panel.
- Castle service has been re-added from build 5098.
- Windows Color System Service has been added.
Windows Media Center[edit | edit source]
Windows Media Center and its services has been included in this build, and it features a drastically different look compared to the one featured in Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. It is also included on the taskbar by default.
Windows Calendar[edit | edit source]
Windows Calendar has been added in this build.
Windows Help and Support[edit | edit source]
- Working offline option has been added.
- Minimal user interface updates have happened such as new arrow buttons.
Windows Photo Library[edit | edit source]
Flip3D[edit | edit source]
This is the first leaked build to introduce what was known as Flip3D. It contains similar functionality to ALT+TAB, however it now utilizes the Desktop Window Manager in this build and creates a 3D flipping effect in between all of the applications currently open, thus the name "Flip3D". Flip3D can be used via pressing WIN+SPACE, rather than WIN+TAB which was used in later builds.
Windows Sidebar[edit | edit source]
This build is the first post-reset build of Windows Vista to reintroduce Windows Sidebar. Rather than working inside explorer.exe (which caused memory leaks), this time the Sidebar runs in its own process. In this build, the Sidebar doesn't start automatically upon booting up.
Gadgets are mentioned as "Parts" inside the user folder. There are four gadgets: Clock, RSS Feed, Photo Slideshow and Search.
Tablet PC Components[edit | edit source]
Other changes include:
- "Notes" folder has been added to the Documents folder which contains .jnt files (regarding Windows Journal).
- Flicks Introduction Wizard has been added.
- Pen Flick Gestures tray menu has been added.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- If launching the Sidebar process and then terminating it, the watermark may not position itself correctly.
- If recycling something or adding something to the recycle bin, the icons won't change unless you log out and log back in.
- Windows Calendar is mostly not functional.
Migration Wizard[edit | edit source]
The following bugs are internal known issues found in
MIGWIZRE.TXT in the sources folder.
- Currently, only disconnected migration is supported.
- The Drive Exclusion page has no effect on the items to be migrated.
- To increase performance on machines with razzle environments, you can have the docs agent skip scanning all drives (which can take several minutes on some machines) by setting the environment variable
MIG_DOCS_MINSCAN=1before running the wizard.