Windows 8 build 7973 (fbl_core1_kernel_npc)
|Build of Windows 8|
|Timebomb||2011-07-01 (+93 days)|
Windows 8 build 7973 (fbl_core1_kernel_npc) is a build of Windows 8 that was uploaded to BetaArchive on 19 September 2015 only in the x86 architecture.
Editions and keys[edit | edit source]
|Edition / SKU||Key|
Changes[edit | edit source]
- Updated the boot screen to include the fish from the wallpaper of Windows 7 builds 6910 to 7231 and a boot spinner, albeit at a slightly larger size compared to later builds.
- Changed the startup kernel font from Lucida Console to Segoe Mono Boot.
- The system crash screen font has been changed from Segoe UI to Segoe WP.
- The boot manager entry is now named "Windows 8" as opposed to "Windows 7".
Redpill[edit | edit source]
The Redlock tool can be used to unlock all features in this build, including the Start screen.
- The Start screen is starting to look vastly different from the previous builds, with the design of the tiles being changed to a look that more closely resembles its final design.
- The Immersive Control Panel has been redesigned.
- The splash screen for MS Help has been changed to a rather crude one done in Microsoft Paint.
- This build features a new File Copy dialog, which has more features than the one in Windows 7, such as the ability to pause the action.
- The Metro folder icons and thumbnails seen in build 7963 have been disabled.
Bugs and quirks[edit | edit source]
Compatibility[edit | edit source]
To install or run this build in VMware Workstation, the hardware compatibility version must be set to versions 8.x or earlier; otherwise, a bugcheck will occur.
Upgrade[edit | edit source]
When upgrading to this build using the new Windows Setup tool, installation might fail. When the
Applying computer settings phase starts, a runtime error will occur with
C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Install.exe, and alt-tabbing after clicking OK will reveal another error saying that
Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation. In order to upgrade to this build, use the older setup tool located in the
Aero[edit | edit source]
- This build appears to have a slightly broken Aero theme, with only the top portion of the window frame using the blur effect, leaving the side borders without the effect. This bug persists until build 7985.
- This bug affects the Aero Lite theme as well.
DWM[edit | edit source]
After installing the video card driver, Immersive Control Panel will open after using Ctrl+⇧Shift+F9. It will not close unless Ctrl+⇧Shift+F9 is pressed again.
Aero Glass in Starter and Home Basic[edit | edit source]
This build automatically enables Aero Glass transparency even when installing the Starter or Home Basic SKUs, which is not supported by default. However, changing the color scheme (visual style) to another one and then back to the default one will disable it.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Setup[edit | edit source]
Interface[edit | edit source]
Redpill-specific[edit | edit source]
Immersive Internet Explorer