Windows Longhorn build 4039 (Lab06_n.030824-1954)
|Build of Windows Longhorn|
|Timebomb||2004-02-20 (+180 days)|
Windows Longhorn build 4039 (Lab06_n.030824-1954) is a Milestone 6 build of Windows Longhorn. It is an earlier compile of the better known build 4039 release from 27 August 2003. On 23 January 2020, this build was listed on a thread by UX.Unleaked blog founder Grabberslasher to be released to the BetaArchive FTP, and was released in the second set of his 33 Longhorn/Vista builds on 25 January 2020, alongside build 4005 and the Home Edition of build 3790.1232.
While even more unstable when compared to its later compile, it is notable for being an image from MSIT (Microsoft's internal IT department) containing many developer apps intended for Windows developers to use, including beta versions of Visual Studio and Office 2003.
Setup[edit | edit source]
The final reference of Windows XP while booting into WinPE has now finally been dropped, and setup now says "Starting Windows Preinstallation Environment", rather than "Starting Windows XP Preinstallation Environment". Setup also now contains a new step-by-step progress bar on the bottom, which resembles the one found in later builds. It also contains an image of a clock, which would later become a timer in text format. Aside from that, setup is mostly similar to previous builds.
Features[edit | edit source]
- Notably, there are a number of developer features preinstalled in this build:
- A full version of Office 2003 build 5329 is included. Prior to this build, only Outlook was leaked.
- Computer Associates eTrust Antivirus is pre-installed as an anti-virus.
- An early build of Visual Studio 2005 is included. This version of the app was compiled on 6 August 2003.
- HTML Help Workshop is included, with a version number of 4.74.8702.0.
- A Hang Reporter tool is installed to report any issues with applications hanging.
- The clock tile now displays the timezone.
- Windows Explorer has received minor updates, and now include small uplifts, such as back, forward and star icons receiving new looks.
- The service
winuxhas been introduced.
- The "My Computer" icon has been reverted to the previous version.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- Boot times are notably longer than other Longhorn builds due to pre-installed applications. Uninstalling the pre-installed apps, especially the eTrust Antivirus, can make the build boot faster.
- If you enable DCE, disable DCE, and then enable it again, both the sidebar, taskbar and windows will fail to render properly, and will disappear upon being interacted with.
- In some apps, most buttons received an arrow in the right side of them. However, the arrow is non-functional in all apps. This is more likely a bug, since later builds do not feature such arrows in buttons.
Installation[edit | edit source]
- This build cannot be installed via booting to the CD. To install this build, either use another build's WinPE or upgrade from a previous build.
- There is a chance of an error which can occur while copying files.
Safe Mode[edit | edit source]
Safe mode does not log you on due to the login process change in build 4032, as it will result in
There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper. This was later fixed in Windows Longhorn build 4042 (main).
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Applications included in the build[edit | edit source]
General images[edit | edit source]
DCE with Glass frames