Windows Longhorn build 4039 (Lab06 n.030824-1954)
|Build of Windows Longhorn|
|Timebomb||2004-02-20 (+180 days)|
Windows Longhorn build 4039 (with a build tag of 4039.Lab06_n.030824-1954) is a Milestone 6 build of Windows Longhorn. It is an earlier compile of the better known build 4039 release from 27 August 2003. On 23 January 2020, this build was listed on a thread by UX.Unleaked blog founder Grabberslasher to be released to the BetaArchive FTP, and was released in the second set of his 33 Longhorn/Vista builds on 25 January 2020, alongside build 4005 and the Home Edition of build 3790.1232. While even more unstable when compared to its later compile, it is notable for containing many developer apps, including beta versions of Visual Studio and Office 2003.
Setup[edit | edit source]
The final reference of Windows XP while booting into WinPE has now finally been dropped, and setup now says "Starting Windows Preinstallation Environment", rather than "Starting Windows XP Preinstallation Environment". Setup also now contains a new step-by-step progress bar on the bottom, which resembles the one found in later builds. It also contains an image of a clock, which would later become a timer in text format. Aside from that, setup is mostly similar to previous builds.
Features[edit | edit source]
- Notably, there are a lot of developer features preinstalled in this build:
- A full version of Office 2003 build 5329 is included. Prior to this build, only Outlook was leaked.
- Computer Associates eTrust Antivirus is pre-installed as an anti-virus.
- An early build of Visual Studio 2005 is included. This version of the app was compiled on 2003-08-06.
- HTML Help Workshop is included, with a version number of 4.74.8702.0.
- A Hang Reporter tool is installed to report any issues with applications hanging.
- The clock tile now displays the timezone.
- File Explorer has received minor updates, and now include small uplifts, such as back, forward and star icons receiving new looks.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- Boot times are notably longer than other Longhorn builds due to pre-installed applications. Uninstalling the pre-installed apps, especially the eTrust Antivirus, can make the build boot faster.
- If you enable DCE, disable DCE, and then enable it again, both the sidebar, taskbar and windows will fail to render properly, and will disappear upon being interacted with.
Installation[edit | edit source]
There's a chance of an error which can occur while copying files.