Windows Longhorn build 4008
|Timebomb||2004-02-15 (+360 days)|
Windows "Longhorn" build 4008, with a build tag of 4008.main.030219-1933 is a Milestone 4 "Longhorn" build leaked on 2003-02-28.
It includes the old and new plex themes but DCE is heavily broken.
This build was a major update from Build 3718, with one of the most dramatic changes obviously being the introduction of the new WIM-based Setup procedure, albeit still in a very interesting stage. This build also had many updates made in the folder windows, although the rest of the build had not changed so much from Build 3718, however, it was quite clear that Microsoft had already started adding in the major changes that would later make Longhorn what it was.
This build also had (with exception to the Help and Support Center) nearly all references, and virtually all major references to Windows XP removed by this point, most notably the logo shown within the About Windows dialog box, which was replaced by the actual Longhorn logo, showing the copyright date, 2006 (this shows that obviously, Microsoft was planning quite far ahead for Longhorn even at this point). The boot screen was still the same from Windows XP, but that was also going to be removed eventually.
As with earlier Longhorn builds, the Internet Explorer included in this build, Internet Explorer 6.05 (basically, an update to Internet Explorer 6.0), was not much different from the Internet Explorer included by default in Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003.
Hidden Sidebar tiles
A few Sidebar tiles are disabled by default in this build. These are:
- RMA Test Tile - just the "Longhorn" clock png stretched in the tile
- Longhorn Status - links to an intranet link at Microsoft
- Internet Webcam - links to a live image of a Redmond, WA freeway, similar to the Traffic ticket from Sideshow, a prototype of Sidebar from Microsoft Research
- Media Player - which is broken
A registry patch was made available by AlphaAddict that enabled the aforementioned tiles in 2006, but the download link no longer works. There is no known other way to make them visible.
- Messenger Status Tile - This tile only works if you are using Windows Messenger. You cannot use MSN Messenger with this tile. Also, this tile does not work with Windows Messenger 4.0, you will need 4.6 or 4.7 for it to function correctly. In order to activate this tile, do the following:
- Navigate to
- Create a new KEY called
- In the new Key Create the following STRING Values and set the values to what is to the right of the equals sign.
- Navigate to