Windows 8 build 8250
|Build of Windows 8|
|Timebomb||2013-01-15 (+333 days)|
Windows 8 build 8250 is the official Consumer Preview build of Windows 8. This build was released by Microsoft on 29 February 2012.
New features and changes[edit | edit source]
- As of 2021, it is the earliest known build to drop the Windows XP/Vista/7 flag and replace it with the new, Metro-style one (note: build 8277 has a higher build number but uses the old logo due to being compiled on 8 February 2012, before this build).
- The Metro interface has been given major updates that makes them resemble the RTM.
- This build allows changing different background styles and colors and the lock screen background is different.
- The wallpaper was changed to a teal-colored wallpaper containing a Metro-style betta fish along with a large-sized number 8 on the left-hand side.
- A working Windows Store and Live apps.
- This build installs multiple other Metro applications as well, as with the other Windows 8 builds officially released from Microsoft.
Bugs and quirks[edit | edit source]
Timebomb[edit | edit source]
It is one of the notable Windows 8 builds that has a broken timebomb and can be installed on the current date.
Transparency effects in the Windows Basic theme[edit | edit source]
When using the Windows Basic (Aero Lite) visual style, transparency effects can be enabled by means of a bug in the Personalization Control Panel. To do so:
- Right-click the desktop and open up Personalization. Now click on the "Window Color" link given at the bottom of the window. Keep the window open.
- Open a separate personalization window and apply the Windows Basic theme.
- Go back to the other personalization window that you opened at the start, uncheck "Enable transparency" option and then re-check it. Click on "Save changes" button. This will cause glass effects.
Compatibility[edit | edit source]
To install or run this build in VMware Workstation, you must set the hardware compatibility to versions 8.x or 9.x; otherwise, a black screen with an error code will appear.