Windows 8 build 8250
|Build of Windows 8|
|Timebomb||2013-01-15 (+333 days)|
Windows 8 build 8250 is the official Consumer Preview build of Windows 8, which was officially released to the public on 29 February 2012.
New features and changes[edit | edit source]
- As of 2022, it is the earliest known build to drop the Windows XP/Vista/7 flag and replace it with the new, Metro-style one, although some resources still use the old logo (note: build 8277 has a higher build number but uses the old logo due to being compiled on 8 February 2012, before this build).
- The Metro interface has been given major updates that makes them resemble the RTM.
- This build allows changing different background styles and colors and the lock screen background is different.
- The default desktop wallpaper was changed to a teal-colored wallpaper containing a Metro-style betta fish along with a large-sized number 8 on the left-hand side.
- A working Store (of the time) and Live apps.
- This build installs multiple other Metro applications as well, as with the other Windows 8 builds officially released from Microsoft.
Secure Boot Policy[edit | edit source]
This build uses a preliminary version of the Secure Boot Policy, although the on-disk structure is identical to later builds:
- Signature validation is different: the policy must have a hash in or be signed by a certificate in
KEK, the UEFI Key Exchange Key signature database.
CanUpdateelement is used here; the code using it was removed later but the element remained in the file format. A path to an updated policy can either be set in a UEFI variable; alternatively, for BitLocker where the VMK is sealed by the TPM, an updated policy is read from
osdevice:\LatestPolicy.p7b. This policy must have a valid signature.
- The updated policy must have a
PolicyPublisherequal to one of the
CanUpdateGUIDs in the loaded policy; also, the policy version must be greater than the loaded policy's. If all conditions pass, the updated policy is installed to UEFI non-volatile storage and used as the active policy.
- The updated policy must have a
- BCD rules are identical to later builds; that is, BCD elements can be overridden by the policy to either be forcibly ignored, or for deletion to be disallowed from the running OS, or for the element value to be locked to a value or one of several values listed in the policy.
- Registry rules are not used for low-level cryptographic settings as in later builds but instead are used to override registry values anywhere in
HKLM\SYSTEM. The operating system loader
winload.e*and NT kernel both have code implementing this functionality; the former uses the policy to override the registry values it reads from that hive.
- Option flag bits are completely different from later builds; only 3 bits are used, all by the operating system loader; bit 0 disables the Edit Options menu, bit 1 disables the Advanced Options menu, bit 2 is unknown but related to the Advanced Options menu.
Bugs and quirks[edit | edit source]
Internet Explorer[edit | edit source]
- Depending on copies of this build, when opening About Internet Explorer, it might not render entirely and will close automatically instead.
Transparency effects in the Windows Basic theme[edit | edit source]
When using the Windows Basic (Aero Lite) visual style, transparency effects can be enabled by means of a bug in the Personalization Control Panel (don't persist if you re-selected the created theme). To do so:
- Right-click the desktop and open up Personalization. Now click on the "Window Color" link given at the bottom of the window. Keep the window open.
- Open a separate personalization window and apply the Windows Basic theme.
- Go back to the other personalization window that you opened at the start, uncheck "Enable transparency" option and then re-check it. Click on "Save changes" button. This will cause glass effects.
Compatibility[edit | edit source]
To install or run this build in VMware Workstation, you must set the hardware compatibility to versions 8.x or 9.x; otherwise, a black screen with an error code of
0x0000000A will appear with text that says
Your computer needs to restart. Please hold down the power button.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Setup[edit | edit source]
Interface[edit | edit source]
Windows Basic (Aero Lite) visual style