Windows 7 build 6730
|Build of Windows 7|
|Timebomb||2008-10-03 (+113 days)|
Windows 7 build 6730 is a Milestone 3 build of Windows 7 that was only leaked in WIM format. This build includes Aero theme updates and Internet Explorer 8. It was leaked to BetaArchive on 26 April 2011.
New features[edit | edit source]
- The superbar style has been updated to resemble that of the RTM.
- DWM applies colorization differently, using a "color dodge" effect. This effect was removed from active windows in build 6780.
- An early version of the Aero Snap feature is implemented. The window is resized instantly to the snap rather than showing an outline before the user releases the window drag.
- A small bar will appear in Explorer when performing a "typing scroll." This may be accessed when a user types keys after highlighting an item in the main section of an Explorer window.
- A new boot screen is shown in this build, it is similar to the one found in build 6519 and 6608.
- The start orb has now thicker borders and it is smaller.
- The start menu has been modified.
- Internet Explorer has an "emulate IE7" feature and is the earliest version of Internet Explorer with developer tools.
- User Account Control's dialogs now resemble the ones that are found in the RTM.
- Windows Activation now behaves like on Windows Vista Service Pack 1; all premium features (including Windows Aero) will remain functional and a dialog warning the user that the copy of Windows is not genuine will appear at periodic times, instead of booting into "reduced functionality mode" and an hourly system reboot.
- Applications such as Paint, Internet Explorer and WordPad have been updated heavily.
- Show desktop plays DWM animations on windows being minimized and doesn't hide the sidebar.
- There is now an option in the taskbar properties dialog to configure the superbar (when enabled) to use smaller, "classic" sized buttons and icons. It is called "Use narrow taskbar" instead of "Use small taskbar buttons" as the RTM.
OEM login screen wallpapers[edit | edit source]
This is the first leaked build of Windows 7 that has the ability to change the login screen wallpaper, which was especially made for OEMs. If making a custom login wallpaper yourself, the method is the exact same as that of the RTM release.
Installation[edit | edit source]
This build only leaked in WIM format (different format than the ones that are used in WinPE), you can either convert the WIM to VHD and mount it to a virtual machine, or apply the WIM to a partition of a virtual drive:
- Partition and format a blank virtual hard drive.
- Mount the drive and use an utility such as GImageX to apply the WIM to the hard drive.
- Unmount the drive and install normally.
Attempting to install this build normally will result in an error while installing updates, possibly due to incorrect ACL permissions with one of the registry keys in the system hives.
Bugs and quirks[edit | edit source]
DWM[edit | edit source]
The "Aero Peek" function of this build is buggy. It may not show a window thumbnail and may frequently crash Explorer as well. To prevent crashing, avoid moving the mouse to the taskbar window thumbnail.
DWM is unstable on certain hypervisors and may crash upon certain events.
In addition, Aero has a brighter accent color. This will be fixed in build 6780.
Breadcrumbs bar[edit | edit source]
The breadcrumbs bar is frequently sized incorrectly.