Windows Vista build 5456
|Build of Windows Vista|
|Timebomb||2007-05-31 (+345 days)|
Home Basic N
Windows Vista build 5456 is a pre-RC1 build of Windows Vista, released to beta testers on 24 June 2006.
New features and changes[edit | edit source]
- This build includes the Windows Aero cursors, but they aren't enabled by default until build 5469.
- The startup sound now also plays during the orb animation. In this build, it will play a second time at login.
- Added a warning to the "Change your color scheme" control panel applet that enabling transparency might affect the computer.
- The Aero theme has been updated to have thicker borders.
- Windows Experience Index stage has been added to Setup.
- Windows Movie Maker has been redesigned.
- Upon its first start, Windows Media Center no longer directly opens the Setup wizard. Instead, the user can select between Express and Custom options. Selecting the Custom option will lead to the Setup wizard. Selecting the Express option will lead instead to the home screen.
- Additionally, the UI has been uplifted again, now resembling the RTM.
- Windows DVD Maker no longer quits if a blank DVD is not inserted.
- Windows Update has been integrated with Windows Ultimate Extras.
- After Windows has been connected to a network, it now only shows a balloon tip, that the network has been classified as public. The user should click on it to reconfigure the network as private.
- If a UAC popup appears, the system plays the "Critical Error" sound.
Setup[edit | edit source]
- The page of setup before the restart has been redesigned to resemble the RTM. Most notably the "Restart now" button no longer has the arrow icon from pre-reset Longhorn, but it does not work in this build. You will need to wait until setup restarts automaically.
- During the first boot, the message "Please wait while Windows prepares to start..." has been changed to add "for the first time..." at the end. This will persist to the RTM and will be changed again in Service Pack 1.
Control Panel[edit | edit source]
- Network Center has been revamped and is now called "Network and Sharing Center".
- Security Center now shows the SKU of Windows Vista.
- Game Controllers applet received a new icon.
- Welcome Center received new links.
Bugs and quirks[edit | edit source]
- When shutting down, the sound will only play for a quarter of a second.
Winver.exeand System Properties incorrectly refer a "Service Pack 0 v."