Windows Vista build 5456
|Build of Windows Vista|
|Timebomb||2007-05-31 (+345 days)|
Home Basic N
Windows Vista build 5456 is a pre-RC1 build of Windows Vista, released to beta testers on 24 June 2006.
New features and changes[edit | edit source]
Setup[edit | edit source]
- The page of setup before the restart has been redesigned to resemble the RTM. Most notably the "Restart now" button no longer has the arrow icon from pre-reset Longhorn, but it does not work in this build. You will need to wait until setup restarts automatically.
- During the first boot, the message "Please wait while Windows prepares to start..." has been changed to add "for the first time..." at the end. This will persist to the RTM and will be changed again in Service Pack 1.
- Windows Experience Index stage has been added to Setup. Unlike later builds, it is performed before the OOBE.
- Added some new messages when logging into a user account for the first time such as "Preparing your desktop".
User Interface[edit | edit source]
- This build includes the Windows Aero cursors, but they aren't enabled by default until build 5469.
- The startup sound now also plays during the orb animation. In this build, it will play a second time at login.
- After connecting to a network, a balloon tip will notify the user that the network has been set to public. The user should click on it to reconfigure the network as private.
- Game Explorer tiles, which were first introduced in build 5219, have been removed.
- If a UAC popup appears, the system plays the "Critical Error" sound.
Applications[edit | edit source]
- Windows DVD Maker no longer quits if a blank DVD is not inserted.
- The Sidebar Gadget Gallery has been redesigned.
- Windows Defender uses a new background gradient.
- Windows Journal received new icons.
- Windows Media Center no longer directly opens the Setup wizard. Instead, the user can select between Express and Custom options.
Control Panel[edit | edit source]
- Windows Update has been integrated with Windows Ultimate Extras.
- Network Center has been revamped and is now called "Network and Sharing Center".
- Game Controllers applet received a new icon.
Bugs and quirks[edit | edit source]
Branding[edit | edit source]
Winver and System Properties incorrectly refer a "Service Pack 0 v."
Windows Media Center[edit | edit source]
Windows Media Center freezes when switching to full-screen mode.
Shutdown[edit | edit source]
When shutting down, the sound will only play for a quarter of a second.