Windows Longhorn build 4085 (Lab07_N)
|Build of Windows Longhorn|
|Timebomb||+180 days after original install date|
Windows Longhorn build 4085 (Lab07_N) is a Milestone 7 build of Windows Longhorn. On 23 January 2020, this build was listed on a thread by UX.Unleaked blog founder Grabberslasher to be released to the BetaArchive FTP, and was later released in the fifth set of his 33 Longhorn/Vista builds on 28 January 2020, alongside build 4050 (idx02).
Fixes[edit | edit source]
- Scheduled Tasks folder is named again in the control panel, however it is not functional until build 4086.
Bugs and quirks[edit | edit source]
Installation[edit | edit source]
- As typical of builds in this build range, it tends to take a long time to install and can be unstable.
- Partition and format a drive from a previous or later build prior to starting installation.
No mouse driver in WinPE[edit | edit source]
On some computers and virtualizers, the WinPE doesn't support the mouse, so you must use the keyboard to navigate the WinPE. This seems to be related to using a PS/2 mouse, as USB mice seems to work fine for the setup.
Upgrade[edit | edit source]
Attempting to upgrade from other builds is not possible as one of two outcomes may occur:
- A bugcheck with error code 0x7E after the second reboot. This is commonly observed when trying to upgrade from non-componentized builds, such as 4074 (via a registry tweak that reports it as a componentized build).
- An error during the file copy phase.
Timebomb[edit | edit source]
WordPad[edit | edit source]
WordPad does not start, as it will display with
Failed to create empty document instead.
Outlook Express[edit | edit source]
Outlook Express does not start due to registry errors and certain dependencies on WinFS.
Themes[edit | edit source]
- The Windows Classic theme will not function due to a broken
Explorer[edit | edit source]
- CD and DVD drives behave like local disks.
- Help and Support crashes Explorer.
- Explorer will crash after adding the display tile in sidebar and won't launch again. A workaround is to create a new account via cmd.
Control Panel[edit | edit source]
- Hardware and Devices folder does not open.
- By default, the Phone and Modem Options Control Panel applet name is empty.
- Computer Management displays script errors due to missing registry entries.
Graphics[edit | edit source]
Enable VGA Mode after installing video drivers or the system will result in a blue screen of death with a error code
Windows Product Activation[edit | edit source]
Windows Product Activation is missing.
Safe mode[edit | edit source]
The Safe mode is completely broken and results in a bugcheck with code 0x7B. This is because the
Safeboot key, located in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control is largely incomplete and missing a lot of entries. Restoring the key from a build with working safe mode enables this build to boot in safe mode, but the display is not initialized properly which leads to no video output (which is seen as a black screen).