Windows Longhorn build 4085 (Lab07_N)
|Build of Windows Longhorn|
|Timebomb||2004-12-06 (+180 days)|
Windows Longhorn build 4085 (Lab07_N) is a Milestone 7 build of Windows Longhorn. On 23 January 2020, this build was listed on a thread by UX.Unleaked blog founder Grabberslasher to be released to the BetaArchive FTP, and was later released in the fifth set of their 33 Longhorn/Vista builds on 28 January 2020, alongside build 4050 (idx02).
Fixes[edit | edit source]
- Scheduled Tasks folder is named again in the Control Panel, however it is not functional until build 4086.
Bugs and quirks[edit | edit source]
Installation[edit | edit source]
- As typical of builds in this build range, it tends to take a long time to install and can be unstable.
- Various commands in WinPE's command prompt such as formatting a drive will not work due to
Upgrade[edit | edit source]
Attempting to upgrade from other builds is not possible as one of two outcomes may occur:
- A bugcheck with error code
0x7Eafter the second reboot. This is commonly observed when trying to upgrade from non-componentized builds, such as 4074 (via a registry tweak that reports it as a componentized build).
- An error during the file copy phase.
WinPE[edit | edit source]
- The mouse driver in this build's WinPE does not function on specific hardware configurations or hypervisors, and may require a keyboard to navigate through the installation procedure. This issue appears to be largely related to using a PS/2 mouse, as most ordinary USB mice appear to function properly in setup.
Timebomb[edit | edit source]
WordPad[edit | edit source]
WordPad does not start, as it will display
Failed to create empty document instead.
Outlook Express[edit | edit source]
Themes[edit | edit source]
- The Windows Classic theme does not function due to a broken
Explorer[edit | edit source]
- CD, DVD and floppy drives appear and behave like local disks.
- As a result of this, the system continously throws out notifications about low disk space.
- Help and Support crashes Explorer.
- Explorer will crash after adding the display tile in sidebar and won't launch again. A workaround is to create a new account via Command Prompt.
- When the Aero taskbar and sidebar are enabled, the Taskbar erroneously uses the Sidebar background.
Control Panel[edit | edit source]
- Hardware and Devices folder does not open.
- By default, the Phone and Modem Options Control Panel applet name is empty.
- Computer Management displays script errors due to missing registry entries.
Graphics[edit | edit source]
Enable VGA Mode after installing video drivers or the system will bugcheck with error code
Windows Product Activation[edit | edit source]
The Windows Product Activation component is missing due to the componentization. An incomplete rewritten one in .NET-managed code and Avalon would be reintroduced in build 4093.
Safe mode[edit | edit source]
The Safe mode is completely broken and results in a bugcheck with code
0x0000007B. This is because the
Safeboot key, located in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control is largely incomplete and missing a lot of entries. Restoring the key from an earlier build with working safe mode allows this build to boot properly, but the video driver will not initialize properly. As a result, the operating system will freeze as it transitions into graphical mode, so Safe Mode is currently not known to work on these pre-reset Longhorn componentized builds.