Windows Longhorn build 4020
|Build of Windows Longhorn|
|Timebomb||2004-07-25 (+445 days)|
Windows Longhorn build 4020 is a Milestone 5 build of Windows Longhorn. A screenshot of the build was leaked on the BetaArchive Discord server on 27 November 2018. Longhorn.at.ua also has a few images of this build. On 3 December 2018 this build was leaked to the BetaArchive FTP by ReflectiaX, along with build 4032.
Setup[edit | edit source]
Although setup mostly resembles that found in build 4017, Setup now has a new page included for whether you would like to use an advanced installation or upgrade.
New features and changes[edit | edit source]
This build is very similar to build 4015 (main), however there are some minor changes:
- Notably, the notifications appearance has been updated, which features a more sleeker design and the notification icon on the side bouncing up and down when hovered.
- The Windows Explorer has been updated to no longer leak memory when the Windows Sidebar is enabled. WinFS also works in this build, just like in 4015.
- The OOBE is now completely skipped; after the hardware portion of setup, the system logs on to the Administrator account.
- This build changes the "Longhorn XP" references to simply "Longhorn", such as in the desktop watermark. In build 4029 (main), it was renamed into onghornLay rofessionalPay (into Pig Latin strings).
- The sidebar is given a minor change to take up the whole side, including the bottom of the taskbar, shifting the time to the left of the sidebar instead of under.
- Certain tiles, such as Windows Media Player, have been removed - while other new tiles get added.
- MyTVApp now functions again - however there no longer is an Avalon Trust Manager pop-up, and it isn't as functional as before.
Hidden dialogs[edit | edit source]
There are a few dialogs that cannot be accessed normally. They are:
- Security preferences - Allows you to set preferences for security. It does not seem to have any effect.
- Installer warning dialog - Asks for your permission on whether to run an installer or not that is not trustworthy.
- File resolve dialog - A new dialog that appears whenever a new file moves to a specific place where another file with the same name and file extension already exists.
[edit | edit source]
There are a few sidebar tiles that are disabled by default in this build. They are:
- RMA Test Tile - In this build, it only shows the title of the tile, and nothing else is there.
- Longhorn Status - By default links to 
- Messenger Status Tile - This tile only works if you are using Windows Messenger. You cannot use MSN Messenger with this tile. Also, this tile does not work with Windows Messenger 4.0, you will need 4.6 or 4.7 for it to function correctly.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- Many drivers aren't installed by default during the hardware portion of setup and have to be installed manually.
- Once copying files has completed, setup will fail to create a boot.ini file. Although booting will still be possible, NTLDR will default to C:\Windows.
- The hardware detection portion of setup may crash, and an error message may appear as well. Simply press ALT+TAB to access the error message, and click OK. This will, however, skip the Out-of-Box-Experience.
- The Desktop Composition Engine is broken in this build, so window transparency cannot be enabled.
Desktop[edit | edit source]
If you uncheck "Show Desktop Icons", you will not be able to right click or drag select on the desktop.
Timebomb[edit | edit source]
It is one of the notable Longhorn builds that has a broken timebomb and can be installed on the current date.