Windows Longhorn build 3706
|Build of Windows Longhorn|
|Timebomb||2003-10-25 (+361 days)|
Media Center Edition
Windows Longhorn build 3706 is a Milestone 3 build of Windows Longhorn, which was uploaded publicly on 23 May 2006.
New features and changes[edit | edit source]
- The default wallpaper has been changed to an aurora image with the Longhorn logo.
- The Plex theme has been slightly updated to be darker in color.
- There is now a Download Manager in the Control Panel. However, it doesn't work and opening it only results in the Explorer window hanging.
- The Desktop Composition Engine has been updated and now has animations for windows that are closed or minimized. It can also be enabled in the Display Properties. A video card driver with Direct3D support is needed.
- The Explorer details are enhanced in that the icons are now enlarged and animated by slowly rotating back and forth.
- The Start Page Launcher has been updated and is now more complete.
- The Sidebar can still be enabled, but doing so will always attach the taskbar along with it.
- Alongside that, the Sidebar also includes the following widgets by default:
- Clock - Slide Show - Quick Launch - Search Bar
- The Out of Box Experience no longer includes the question mark indicating if you require help at the beginning of OOBE. However, the next page includes it - just without the animation.
- The Avalon display properties no longer appears whenever you open up display properties.
- In "Search", Preview Pane is enabled by default.
WinFS[edit | edit source]
WinFS folders have been implemented in this build.
Properties of WinFS folders let the user add and delete folders to be scanned in order to show pictures, musics and documents in them (similar to Libraries in Windows 7)
MyTVApp[edit | edit source]
This build includes a new application called MyTVapp, which opens in an Avalon container in Internet Explorer. It was intended for recording and watching TV from the operating system. It can be run by running
SYSTEM32. It is largely incomplete however, as there are placeholder images in "My TV & movies", "Recorded Shows", and "What's On", while "Guide" leads to a page error and "Search" has no effect when clicked. Interestingly, when attempting to open the MyTVApp, an Avalon Trust Manager opens, warning the user that the application came from an Unknown Publisher and it might be harmful to run.
Removed features[edit | edit source]
- Program Manager (
progman.exe) has been removed in this build, but the file for it still exists, but it redirects to Windows Explorer instead.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
General[edit | edit source]
- The Avalon Trust Manager has duplicated text, overriding the "High Risk" text.
Sidebar crash[edit | edit source]
Like later componentized builds of Longhorn, attempting to edit or add certain features on the Windows Sidebar like Slide Show can cause
explorer.exe to enter a crash loop. The only way to fix this loop is to remove the conflicting tile from the Sidebar via the Registry.
Desktop Composition Engine[edit | edit source]
Desktop Composition Engine requires either compatible hardware or VMware Workstation 6.5.x to work (just 6.5x compatibility won't work), otherwise it will result in a black screen that can only be exited by a hard reset.
File differences[edit | edit source]
The following files have been introduced or removed compared to build 3683 Professional:
|devdir.dll||Device Directory Dll||6.0.3706.0 (Lab06_N.021029-1731)|
|devdirps.dll||Device Directory Proxy Stub Dll||6.0.3706.0 (Lab06_N.021029-1731)|
|gamecins.dll||Microsoft DirectInput||6.0.3706.0 (Lab06_N.021029-1731)|
|Microsoft.DirectX.AudioVideoPlayback.dll||Microsoft Managed AudioVideoPlayback||6.0.3706.0 (Lab06_N.021029-1731)|
|Microsoft.DirectX.Diagnostics.dll||Microsoft Managed DirectX Diagnostics||6.0.3706.0 (Lab06_N.021029-1731)|
|Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3d.dll||Microsoft Managed Direct3D||6.0.3706.0 (Lab06_N.021029-1731)|
|Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3dx.dll||Microsoft Managed D3DX||6.0.3706.0 (Lab06_N.021029-1731)|
|Microsoft.DirectX.DirectDraw.dll||Microsoft Managed DirectDraw||6.0.3706.0 (Lab06_N.021029-1731)|
|Microsoft.DirectX.Directinput.dll||Microsoft Managed DirectInput||6.0.3706.0 (Lab06_N.021029-1731)|
|Microsoft.DirectX.Directplay.dll||Microsoft Managed DirectPlay||6.0.3706.0 (Lab06_N.021029-1731)|
|Microsoft.DirectX.Directsound.dll||Microsoft Managed DirectSound||6.0.3706.0 (Lab06_N.021029-1731)|
|Microsoft.DirectX.dll||Microsoft Managed DirectX Helper Classes||6.0.3706.0 (Lab06_N.021029-1731)|
|mspmsnsv.dll||Microsoft Media Device Service Provider||9.0.3706.0|
|rpcnsh.dll||RPC Netshell Helper||6.0.3706.0 (Lab06_N.021029-1731)|
|winfsevn.rll||Microsoft® Windows® Storage Engine Messages DLL||6.0.3706.0|
|winfsos.dll||Microsoft® Windows® Storage Engine Hosting||6.0.3706.0 (Lab06_N.021029-1731)|
|idwlog.exe||Build and Setup Tally Program||6.0.3683.0 (Lab06_N.020923-1821)|
|mspmspsv.dll||Microsoft Media Device Service Provider||9.0.3683.0|
|mssdi98.dll||Microsoft® SQL Debug Interface||7.00.8152.0|
|msvcr70.dll||Microsoft® C Runtime Library||7.00.9466.0|
|preview.dll||Video Previewer||6.05.3683.0 (Lab06_N.020923-1821)|
|sortdata.dll||SQL Sorting Data DLL||2000.080.0602.00|
|wfsevn.rll||SQL Event Messages DLL||2000.080.0602.00|
|wfsnetnp.dll||Named Pipes Net DLL for SQL Server||2000.080.0602.00|
|wfsnetss.dll||Winsock Oriented Net DLL for SQL Server||2000.080.0602.00|
|wfsnps.dll||SQL User Mode Scheduler DLL||2000.080.0602.00|
|wmv8dmod.dll||Windows Media Video 8 Decoder||220.127.116.1100|