Windows Longhorn build 3706
|Build of Windows Longhorn|
|Timebomb||2003-10-24 (+360 days)|
Media Center Edition
Windows Longhorn build 3706 is a Milestone 3 build of Windows Longhorn, which was shared online on 23 May 2006. It is also known to be the last build to include the music "Like Humans Do" by David Byrne, which was located in
New features and changes[edit | edit source]
- The default wallpaper has been changed to an aurora image with the Longhorn logo.
- The Plex theme has been slightly updated to be darker in color.
- There is now a Download Manager in the Control Panel. However, it doesn't work and opening it only results in the Explorer window hanging.
- The Desktop Compositing Engine has been updated and now has animations for windows that are closed or minimized. It can also be enabled in the Display Properties. A video card driver with Direct3D support is needed.
- The Explorer details are enhanced in that the icons are now enlarged and animated by slowly rotating back and forth.
- This build updates the copyright date in
winver.exefrom 1981-2002 to 1985-2003, despite being compiled in late 2002. Thus, Command Prompt only updates 1981 to 1985, leaving 2002 untouched. This persists up to pre-reset build 4067 and post-reset build 5048.
- The Start Page Launcher has been updated and is now more complete.
- The Sidebar can still be enabled, but doing so will always attach the taskbar along with it.
- Alongside that, the Sidebar also includes the following widgets by default:
- Slide Show
- Quick Launch
- Search Bar
- The Out of box experience no longer includes the question mark indicating if the user requires help at the beginning of OOBE. However, the next page includes it - just without the animation.
- In "Search", Preview Pane is enabled by default.
- The letters Q and Z have been removed from Dialer.
AutoPlay[edit | edit source]
- The option to turn off AutoPlay for a selected device has been added.
- The interface for mixed content has been updated.
WinFS[edit | edit source]
WinFS folders have been implemented in this build.
Properties of WinFS folders let the user add and delete folders to be scanned in order to show pictures, music and documents in them (similar to Libraries in Windows 7).
MyTVApp[edit | edit source]
This build includes a new application called MyTVapp, which opens in an Avalon container in Internet Explorer. It was intended for recording and watching TV from the operating system. It can be run by running
SYSTEM32. It is largely incomplete however, as there are placeholder images in "My TV & movies", "Recorded Shows", and "What's On", while "Guide" leads to a page error and "Search" has no effect when clicked. Interestingly, when attempting to open the MyTVApp, an Avalon Trust Manager opens, warning the user that the application came from an Unknown Publisher and it might be harmful to run.
New file copy conflict resolve dialog[edit | edit source]
This build, just like the last one has a new file copy conflict resolve dialog. It can be enabled by setting the DWORD value
NewResolve to 1 in
Briefcase introduction[edit | edit source]
This build contains a briefcase introduction dialog. It can be opened by running the command
[edit | edit source]
This build features a normally hidden People sidebar tile. It can be enabled by changing the following values in the registry:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartBar\Modules\PeopleTile] "Assembly"="Microsoft.Windows.PPLRTC1" "Module"="Microsoft.Windows.Collaboration.Controls.PeopleTile"
Avalon-based Display Properties[edit | edit source]
In this build the Avalon-based Display Properties dialog is disabled by default, but not fully removed. To enable it, set
ClassicDisplayCPL to 0 in
Bugs and quirks[edit | edit source]
General[edit | edit source]
- The Avalon Trust Manager has duplicated text, overriding the "High Risk" text.
- Windows Media Center will close upon launch.
- DiskPart does not work and will tell the user that
This version of diskpart is not supported on this platform.
Sidebar crash[edit | edit source]
Like later componentized builds of Longhorn, attempting to edit or add certain features on the Windows Sidebar like Slide Show can cause
explorer.exe to enter a crash loop. The only way to fix this loop is to remove the conflicting tile from the Sidebar via the Registry.
Desktop Compositing Engine[edit | edit source]
- Desktop Compositing Engine requires either compatible hardware or VMware Workstation 6.5.x to work (just 6.5x compatibility won't work), otherwise it will result in a black screen that can only be exited by a hard reset.
- Whenever DCE is enabled, the sidebar glitches out.
Upgrading[edit | edit source]
Unlike build 3683, this version of Longhorn can be upgraded from a Windows 98 or ME system with no external files due to the presence of the
win9xmig folders. This is true for all Longhorn builds up to build 3718.
Control Panel[edit | edit source]
- Display Properties mentions the Luna theme as the Plex theme.
- The new Display Properties Avalon applet has duplicated text in the "Use Classic Display Control Panel" item.
Installation[edit | edit source]
On some devices, this build cannot be installed on modern versions of VMware and VirtualBox as it results in a BSOD with error code
SESSION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED), so you need to configure your guest OS as Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition 32-bit.
File differences[edit | edit source]
The following files have been introduced or removed compared to build 3683 Professional:
|devdir.dll||Device Directory Dll||6.0.3706.0 (Lab06_N.021029-1731)|
|devdirps.dll||Device Directory Proxy Stub Dll||6.0.3706.0 (Lab06_N.021029-1731)|
|gamecins.dll||Microsoft DirectInput||6.0.3706.0 (Lab06_N.021029-1731)|
|Microsoft.DirectX.AudioVideoPlayback.dll||Microsoft Managed AudioVideoPlayback||6.0.3706.0 (Lab06_N.021029-1731)|
|Microsoft.DirectX.Diagnostics.dll||Microsoft Managed DirectX Diagnostics||6.0.3706.0 (Lab06_N.021029-1731)|
|Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3d.dll||Microsoft Managed Direct3D||6.0.3706.0 (Lab06_N.021029-1731)|
|Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3dx.dll||Microsoft Managed D3DX||6.0.3706.0 (Lab06_N.021029-1731)|
|Microsoft.DirectX.DirectDraw.dll||Microsoft Managed DirectDraw||6.0.3706.0 (Lab06_N.021029-1731)|
|Microsoft.DirectX.Directinput.dll||Microsoft Managed DirectInput||6.0.3706.0 (Lab06_N.021029-1731)|
|Microsoft.DirectX.Directplay.dll||Microsoft Managed DirectPlay||6.0.3706.0 (Lab06_N.021029-1731)|
|Microsoft.DirectX.Directsound.dll||Microsoft Managed DirectSound||6.0.3706.0 (Lab06_N.021029-1731)|
|Microsoft.DirectX.dll||Microsoft Managed DirectX Helper Classes||6.0.3706.0 (Lab06_N.021029-1731)|
|mspmsnsv.dll||Microsoft Media Device Service Provider||9.0.3706.0|
|rpcnsh.dll||RPC Netshell Helper||6.0.3706.0 (Lab06_N.021029-1731)|
|winfsevn.rll||Microsoft® Windows® Storage Engine Messages DLL||6.0.3706.0|
|winfsos.dll||Microsoft® Windows® Storage Engine Hosting||6.0.3706.0 (Lab06_N.021029-1731)|
|idwlog.exe||Build and Setup Tally Program||6.0.3683.0 (Lab06_N.020923-1821)|
|mspmspsv.dll||Microsoft Media Device Service Provider||9.0.3683.0|
|mssdi98.dll||Microsoft® SQL Debug Interface||7.00.8152.0|
|msvcr70.dll||Microsoft® C Runtime Library||7.00.9466.0|
|preview.dll||Video Previewer||6.05.3683.0 (Lab06_N.020923-1821)|
|sortdata.dll||SQL Sorting Data DLL||2000.080.0602.00|
|wfsevn.rll||SQL Event Messages DLL||2000.080.0602.00|
|wfsnetnp.dll||Named Pipes Net DLL for SQL Server||2000.080.0602.00|
|wfsnetss.dll||Winsock Oriented Net DLL for SQL Server||2000.080.0602.00|
|wfsnps.dll||SQL User Mode Scheduler DLL||2000.080.0602.00|
|wmv8dmod.dll||Windows Media Video 8 Decoder||220.127.116.1100|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Setup[edit | edit source]
Interface[edit | edit source]
Desktop Composition Engine with sidebar
Miscellaneous[edit | edit source]
WinFS folders[edit | edit source]
"Pictures by Folder" WinFS folder
"All Pictures" WinFS folder
"Music by Album" WinFS folder
"Tracks" WinFS folder
"Music by Decade" WinFS folder
"Music by Genre" WinFS folder
"Music by Artist" WinFS folder
"Pictures by Collection" WinFS folder properties
Themes[edit | edit source]
Blue Luna theme