Windows 8 build 8330 (fbl_woa)
|Build of Windows RT|
|Timebomb||2013-01-15 (+266 days)|
Installation[edit | edit source]
Installation guide on QEMU:
1. Download this pack on QEMU 6.2.0
2. Download a patched Linaro UEFI 15.12 32-bit and copy this file to the QEMU installation folder.
3. Create a VHD by using the
diskpart utility. For this, run the following commands. (Note that these files will be created in a directory on your C drive called "RT", and they will be mounted under the drive letters P and W).
create vdisk file="C:\RT\hdd.vhd" maximum=65536 type=expandable select vdisk file="C:\RT\hdd.vhd" attach vdisk convert gpt create partition efi size=100 format quick fs=fat32 assign letter=p create partition primary format quick assign letter=w exit
4. Apply the
install.wim to VHD, and then create boot files:
dism /apply-image /imagefile:<WIM file path> /index:1 /applydir:W:\ bcdboot W:\Windows /s P: /f UEFI
After that, eject P or W. Once ejected, P remains and disappears after a reboot.
5. Run QEMU by going to your QEMU installation folder, saving the following text to a batch file, and then running it to start the emulator:
qemu-system-arm ^ -M virt,highmem=false ^ -cpu cortex-a15 ^ --accel tcg,thread=multi ^ -m 2G ^ -bios QEMU_EFI_1512_driver1998.fd ^ -device VGA ^ -device usb-kbd ^ -device usb-tablet ^ -drive id=mydrive,if=none,file=C:\RT\hdd.vhd -device sd-card,drive=mydrive ^ -rtc base=2012-04-24,clock=vm
6. If you want to change the screen resolution, press F2 to enter EFI settings, enter
Device Manager and then
OVMF Platform Configuration. Change the resolution to the desired one then commit the changes and exit. Choose
Machine in the QEMU menu and then reset the emulator.
Important note: The startup process is highly unstable and recovery errors are possible. You must bypass them, to do this, press the Enter key. BSOD errors are also possible. To bypass them, reset the emulator every time you get a BSOD error. After several attempts, you should successfully boot into the system.
Changes[edit | edit source]
Hardware compatibility[edit | edit source]
This is the first build of Windows 8 that drops support for processors without NX, as running on these processors will result in a black screen with error code 0x5D.
Branding[edit | edit source]
This is the first build to feature the new "Windows 8/RT" branding seen in the RTM.
Setup[edit | edit source]
- Besides the background color, Windows Setup now resembles that of the RTM.
- During the first boot, the message "Setup is updating registry settings" has been renamed to just "Please Wait".
- The first logon animation has been updated.
User Interface[edit | edit source]
Desktop[edit | edit source]
- The Windows Aero theme was updated.
- More items are now squared and flattened to resemble the RTM.
- The mouse cursor shadow has been disabled by default.
- This build uses one of the two wallpapers seen during Windows 8 development featuring gray overlapping digits of the number 8, using the Segoe UI typeface.
Metro[edit | edit source]
- All accent color choices from the RTM are included with this build.
- New Start screen wallpapers have been added.
- Windows Explorer is no longer pinned to the Start screen by default.
- Menus on the Charms bar now resemble the RTM.
Control Panel[edit | edit source]
- Family Safety received its final icon.
- The Recovery applet has been redesigned.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
System Properties and winver