Windows 8 build 8064
|Build of Windows 8
|2012-03-11 (+218 days)
Windows 8 build 8064 is a Milestone 3 build of Windows 8, which was uploaded to BetaArchive on 23 January 2021. Prior to this, a setup screenshot, and screenshots of the
setup.exe's file properties were shared to PCBeta on 16 August 2011. This build was released to Microsoft partners through the Ecosystem Engineering Access Program (EEAP) and as is common for such builds coming from the
fbl_eeap branch, it had the entire Metro user interface stripped out at compile time and therefore cannot be redpilled in its vanilla state.
It is the last known build of Windows 8 to include the wordoku puzzle background with the leak warning; it would be replaced with the Windows 7 logon background in build 8102, which would persist in most builds up until Windows 8.1 build 9271. It is also the last build to feature the classic built-in games (such as Solitaire and Minesweeper) from Windows 7.
Changes[edit | edit source]
Welcomemessage has been removed from the loading screen when booting from the installation media.
- This is one of the first known builds to use the "Windows Developer Preview" branding on the boot screen.
- Caption buttons on window title bars are now the same size as the ones found in Windows 7, unlike previous builds of Windows 8.
- The default user icon has been updated to the one used in the official Developer Preview build, albeit with greenish black background instead of green.
- Removed all of the Windows 7 wallpapers and themes except for the regional ones.
Bugs and quirks[edit | edit source]
Installation[edit | edit source]
Compatibility[edit | edit source]
To install or run this build in VMware Workstation, the hardware compatibility version must be set to versions 8.x/9.x; otherwise, a partially garbled system crash message will appear upon boot.
Windows Setup[edit | edit source]
It is recommended to use the keyboard in order to navigate through the initial setup interface as a bug prevents the mouse cursor from being normally displayed.
OOBE[edit | edit source]
- The System Preparation Tool does not properly function in this build and will run into an error, regardless of whether the system is being prepared for the OOBE or for audit mode.
- Like previous unredpilled builds of Windows 8, this build's Windows 7 OOBE background is in monochrome on the left, and on the right, it is entirely black. This quirk persisted until build 8118.