Windows 2000 build 1592.1
|Build of Windows 2000|
Windows 2000 build 1592.1 is a build of Windows 2000. The title bar gradients are turned on by default in this build. They are present in earlier builds, but they are disabled by default.
New features[edit | edit source]
Setup features[edit | edit source]
- The extra SCSI adapters support for text mode setup has been reverted in this build.
- During GUI setup, the command prompt is now open and minimized by default.
- The Setup Options page has been removed in this build, custom is now the default option.
- The option to not connect the computer to a network at this time has been removed in this build, but it could be a change specific to the Server SKU.
- You can now install Microsoft Internet Information Server 2.0 during Setup.
- Due to the SKU being Server, the Domain page of Setup is different.
- The wording for the end of installation dialog during Setup has been slightly improved in this build.
Shell features[edit | edit source]
- Windows Explorer Toolbar got updated with this build to a layout closer to the one found in Windows 98.
Control Panel features[edit | edit source]
- The Add new hardware wizard control panel applet got replaced with the Hardware wizard in this build, featuring Wizard97 design, and some UI elements seen with the Settings Wizards in build 1515.
- The High Contrast Schemes are now working properly with this build.
- The Power Settings Control Panel applet got updated with a new advanced tab.
Appearance features[edit | edit source]
- This build is the first one to use the Windows 98-style color scheme for title bars.
Misc[edit | edit source]
- Microsoft Management Console got updated in this build, with a few UI tweaks, and new SnapIns.
Leftovers[edit | edit source]
This build's installation media includes left over files from the Workstation SKU of this build. One notable file is WINNT256.BMP which has been modified by Windows NT developers. Stephen Chapman said the following on the BetaArchive Discord server about this graphic:
As it turns out, I know the guy who made that background, as well as the story behind it. There was a weekend coding crunch that he and the other few devs involved called "Arbiter Weekend 2". That wallpaper is from that specific one. They were, "rewriting the resource arbiter for the PNP subsystem." The image is of Feathers McGraw from a frame of the movie, "Wallace & Gromit: The Wrong Trousers". Finally, "arbiterrific" was a pun involving a play on words with them making the arbiter terrific instead of "a bit horrific".— Stephen Chapman (ReflectiaX)
It is possible to install the Workstation SKU of this build by performing modifications to some ini files, based on differences observed between both SKUs on the Beta 1 build. As a result, Active Desktop and enhanced Folder options are not disabled anymore in this build, and the setup component predefined option page is back in this build. Below is a gallery of the Workstation SKU of this build, featuring a new Active Desktop, similar to the one found in later builds.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- Setup will ask for the Windows NT Workstation CD-ROM if certain network options are selected, but as the CD-ROM is Server, you will not be able to complete installation of these components.