Windows 2000 build 1592
|Build of Windows 2000|
Windows 2000 build 1592 is a pre-beta build of Windows 2000. It is the earliest available build of Windows 2000 in the Server SKU.
New features[edit | edit source]
Setup features[edit | edit source]
- The extra SCSI adapters support for text mode setup has been reverted in this build.
- During GUI setup, the command prompt is now open and minimized by default.
- The Setup Options page has been removed in this build, custom is now the default option.
- Microsoft Internet Information Server 2.0 can now be installed during setup.
- Due to the SKU being Server, the Domain page of setup is different.
- The wording for the end of installation dialog during Setup has been slightly improved in this build.
Shell features[edit | edit source]
- Windows Explorer Toolbar got updated with this build to a layout closer to the one found in Windows 98, though the icons are not properly displayed.
- This build reverts the change of the default font in build 1515. Microsoft Sans Serif is again set as default instead of the previously used Tahoma until build 1911.
Control Panel features[edit | edit source]
- The Add New Hardware wizard Control Panel applet got replaced with the Hardware wizard in this build, featuring Wizard97 design, and some UI elements seen with the Settings Wizards in build 1515.
- The High Contrast Schemes are now working properly with this build.
- The Power Settings Control Panel applet got updated with a new advanced tab.
- Due to the inclusion of Microsoft Fax Server, there are two new applets called "Fax Client" and "Fax Server" respectively.
Appearance features[edit | edit source]
- This build is the first to use the Windows 98-style color scheme for title bars.
- The title bar gradients are now turned on by default. They are present in earlier builds, but disabled by default.
- The window schemes also received a gradient for title bars, save for the High Contrast schemes.
Miscellaneous[edit | edit source]
- Compared to Windows NT 4.0, Microsoft Fax Server is now installed by default, just like Microsoft Personal Fax being installed by default in the Workstation SKU of earlier builds.
- Microsoft Management Console got updated in this build, with a few UI tweaks, and new Snap-Ins.
Leftovers[edit | edit source]
This build's installation media includes left over files from the Workstation SKU of this build. One notable file is
WINNT256.BMP which has been modified by Windows NT developers. Stephen Chapman said the following on the BetaArchive Discord server about this graphic:
As it turns out, I know the guy who made that background, as well as the story behind it. There was a weekend coding crunch that he and the other few devs involved called "Arbiter Weekend 2". That wallpaper is from that specific one. They were, "rewriting the resource arbiter for the PNP subsystem." The image is of Feathers McGraw from a frame of the movie, "Wallace & Gromit: The Wrong Trousers". Finally, "arbiterrific" was a pun involving a play on words with them making the arbiter terrific instead of "a bit horrific".— Stephen Chapman (ReflectiaX)
It is possible to install the Workstation SKU of this build by performing modifications to some ini files, based on differences observed between both SKUs on the Beta 1 build. As a result, Active Desktop and enhanced Folder options are not disabled anymore in this build, and the setup component predefined option page is back in this build. Below is a gallery of the Workstation SKU of this build, featuring a new Active Desktop, similar to the one found in later builds.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
Setup[edit | edit source]
Setup will ask for the Windows NT Workstation CD-ROM if certain network options are selected, but as the CD-ROM is Server, you will not be able to complete installation of these components.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Miscellaneous[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- ↑ What if I told you Windows 2000 5.0.1592.1 leaked in the wrong sku..., BetaArchive. 31 July 2020.