Windows XP build 2481 (main)
|Build of Windows XP|
|Timebomb||2001-11-19 (+180 days)|
Windows XP build 2481 (main) is a pre-RC1 build of Windows XP released internally on 1 June 2001 and to testers on 6 June.
New features and changes[edit | edit source]
- The Windows XP Tour is now fully complete and functional.
- This build is currently the earliest available build to include Olive Green and Silver Luna theme colors, under the names Homestead and Metallic respectively. The earliest known build to include the theme colors is 2474 (lab06_N).
- The Dynamic Update logo in setup has been updated to resemble the RTM.
- Both shortcuts to the Readme notes and the "Compatibility Mode" page in the Help and Support Center on the desktop have been removed, leaving only the Recycle Bin.
- The sounds used in the final version are present, however they are not set by default. The sounds used in Windows 2000 and Me are still played, but upon completing the out-of-box experience (or if it was skipped), the new startup sound would be played instead.
- The sounds also have a higher bitrate when compared to builds after 2481, making it the only available build to have the higher quality sounds. Additionally they are in stereo, with a 44.1 kHz sampling rate.
- Added the "Windows Catalog" and "Activate Windows" links to the classic start menu.
- The alternative
AUTOCHKboot screen (which can be invoked by adding
BOOT.INI) recolored the Windows XP logo to have the XP white instead of orange, making it resemble the RTM. However, the kernel output still mentions Whistler.
- The taskbar is now locked by default.
- The boot screen has been updated to include the final rotating bars animation, replacing the breathing
loading...text animation that was used in builds 2474 and 2475. However, the "version 2002" tag is still present; this is the last build to contain it on the boot screen.
- The safe to shutdown screen also has been updated, with the background of the screen now being black instead of light purple and the background of the Windows banner now being white instead of black.
- The "Comments?" link located in the title bar of a window has been removed. However, it reappeared in Windows Server 2003 builds 3590 to 3621 and Windows Small Business Server 2003 build 3604.
- MSN Messenger has been renamed "Windows Messenger" and has been updated to version 4.0. This version also introduced the .NET Passport.
- The layout of the system crash screen has been changed to the one that is seen in the RTM and persisted up to Windows 8 build 7878.
- Several programs have been added to the default recently used programs list on the start menu: MSN Explorer, Windows Movie Maker, Tour Windows XP and Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.
- Added Beethoven Symphony No. 9 (Scherzo), New Stories (Highway Blues) as sample music.
- Removed the Utopia sound scheme. However, the Close Program sound is still included as
- The waving flag logo at the login screen is now static, and resembles the one in the RTM.
- This build includes a unique upgrade setup bitmap exclusive to this build, which would not be seen in later builds. It used checkmarks on the sidebar like in in previous builds prior to 2474 rather than radio buttons.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Tour[edit | edit source]
Adobe Flash-based tour[edit | edit source]
HTML-based tour[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- ↑ Thurrott, Paul. Windows XP: The Road to Gold (Part Three), Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows (via Wayback Machine). 24 August 2001.