Windows 2000 build 1796.1
|Build of Windows 2000|
|Timebomb||1998-12-27 (+241 days)|
Windows 2000 build 1796.1 is a build of Windows 2000.
Changes[edit | edit source]
Boot GUI[edit | edit source]
This build introduces the VGA Boot Driver (
bootvid.dll), which allows simple graphics mode operations (bit blit, solid color fill, and displaying text) at boot time as compared to earlier versions, which only supported text mode. The boot screen, safe to shutdown and hibernation screens have been updated to take advantage of it and are now graphical by default, with the resources being stored in the kernel executable. The blue screen of death is black in this build due to a bug presumably related to this change.
It is possible to revert to the old text mode code paths by adding
/noguiboot to the kernel command line in
Shell[edit | edit source]
- The default desktop background color from the teal used in previous builds has been changed to the shade of blue that is used in later builds, while the boot, hibernation, and safe to shutdown screens still use teal as their background color. It would be changed to blue in the next build.
- Network Neighborhood is renamed to My Network Places.
- This build still contains the Show Desktop button seen in the previous build, but the menu on the right of the button was removed.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
Installation[edit | edit source]
- Installing this build in hypervisors will result in a BSOD on startup due to incompatibility with the floppy disk controller file,
FDC.SYS. Either delete or rename it, which will disable access to floppy disk drives, or replace it with a later build's
FDC.SYSafter text-mode setup by using a DOS/Windows 9x boot disk.
- Booting from the CD results in a BSOD, use a DOS/Windows 9x boot disk to run
winnt /b) from CD.
Control Panel[edit | edit source]
- Multimedia Control Panel applet (
mmsys.cpl) may crash when clicking on CD Music.
Drivers[edit | edit source]
- Sound cards may not operate properly in this build; and can be difficult to fix the problem. However, some users don't have this issue. This also appears in the next leaked build.
Virtual PC[edit | edit source]
This build's ACPI implementation is extremely buggy in Virtual PC and is prone to frequent crashes. This can be avoided by pressing the F5 key at the F6 disk prompt and picking the Standard PC HAL driver on the first stage, which will disable ACPI.
Hibernation[edit | edit source]
The progress bar shown when the system is hibernating doesn't fill up the entire bar. Instead, a text-mode message will appear in the top left corner saying
State saved, power off the system. This also appears in the next leaked build.