Windows 2000 build 1814
|Build of Windows 2000
|1999-01-31 (+240 days)
Windows 2000 build 1814 is an Interim Developer's Release build of Windows 2000. This build was found by BetaArchive user ReflectiaX on 8 March 2016. On 3 December 2018, this build was uploaded to the BetaArchive FTP server by the same user. It is currently only available as a server build. Prior to ReflectiaX's discovery, the build was reported to be, perhaps accidentally, made available on Microsoft's European FTP server on 13 September 1998. This is the last build that displays kernel mode messages in text fallback mode instead of graphics mode when the
/noguiboot option is enabled and to display system crash messages on the boot screen.
New features and changes[edit | edit source]
- The background colors for both the boot, hibernation and safe to shutdown screens were changed from teal to blue, matching the shade that is used on the desktop background.
- It is now possible to enable high-color icons on this build without re-logging in.
- The setup page where the server can be set as a domain controller or a stand-alone server has been removed.
- This build introduces the "Enable pointer shadow" option in the Mouse applet.
- In the Add/Remove Programs applet (
APPWIZ.CPL), the "Remove Programs" option has been renamed to "Change or Remove Programs" and "Windows NT Setup" to "Configure Windows". The "Modify/Remove" option is now named "Change/Remove" and the description next to it has been reworded as well.
- The "Internet" applet (
INETCPL.CPL) received a new icon, now using a globe instead of the IE icon.
Bugs and quirks[edit | edit source]
Workstation reference in the Server SKU[edit | edit source]
Despite being a Server build, the boot screen during setup, hibernation screen status, and the safe to shutdown screen still says Workstation, possibly due to incomplete rebranding.
Control Panel[edit | edit source]
The Multimedia Control Panel applet (
mmsys.cpl ) may crash when clicking on CD Music.
Drivers[edit | edit source]
- Sound cards may not operate properly in this build; and can be difficult to fix the problem.
- This build has a major issue with graphics processing on many graphics adapters, where parts of the graphical user interface will not be displayed properly.
Installation[edit | edit source]
At one point of setup, an error is shown that it is unable to copy a file, the default answer is either the root directory of the CD-ROM drive or
D:\I386\I386\ and has to be pointed to the I386 directory to copy these files.
Login[edit | edit source]
In some cases, the Welcome to Windows application can cause a login hang. If the system hangs while logging in, press Ctrl+Alt+Del, log out and then log in again.
Hibernation[edit | edit source]
The progress bar shown when the system is hibernating does not fill up the entire bar. Instead, a text-mode message appears in the top left corner saying
State saved, power off the system.