Windows XP build 2211
|Build of Windows XP|
|Timebomb||2001-05-28 (+445 days)|
Windows XP build 2211 is an early build of Windows XP, which refers to itself as "Whistler Windows 2001". Only the Professional edition is leaked.
New features and changes[edit | edit source]
- Control Panel and some parts of Windows Explorer have gained updates to resemble that of Windows ME.
- An early version of the category view for Control Panel is included, showing only the most used options. The final version of Windows XP would include the applets within the categories.
- A new Control Panel applet called Hot Pluggable Devices is added, meant to make users safely eject removable devices like USB devices.
- Microsoft Management Console has been updated to version 1.2, however it contains a WordArt startup banner that states version 2.0.
- The Help Center from pre-release builds of Windows ME has been ported to this build.
- This build introduces the Automated System Recovery. This process creates a floppy disk with setup files and performs regular backup of the Windows and Program Files directories. The user can press F5 at the Automated System Recovery prompt during setup to allow setup to recover the Windows installation.
Neptune login screen[edit | edit source]
This build contains a user friendly login screen, which is unchanged from Neptune build 5111. To enable it, change the value of
LogonType DWORD in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Winlogon to 1. While functional, the shutdown button only relaunches the login screen unless Shift is held down.