Windows NT 3.1 build 340
|Build of Windows NT 3.1|
|Release name||Beta - October 1992|
|OS family||Windows NT|
Windows NT 3.1 build 340 is the October 1992 pre-release build of Windows NT 3.1, available in both Workstation and Advanced Server editions. The latter was shared by BetaArchive member The Distractor on 11 March 2017. It is the earliest available build of the Advanced Server version of Windows NT, at the time still called "LAN Manager for Windows NT".
This build is often mislabeled either as build 319.1 or 328.1, which are actually file versions of its kernel files (
NTKRNLMP.EXE). NTFS now works in this build.
Around the release of this build, the now well-known error in the processor detection routine appeared, preventing installation on the Pentium Pro and later without modification. It made its way into the final release and persisted into Windows NT 3.5. It was finally fixed around Windows NT 3.51 build 1002. Compared to the RTM, it also affects 486 and Pentium processors, making installation only possible on a 386 processor.
New features and changes[edit | edit source]
- This is the first known build to change the desktop background color from gray to teal. This change would later carry over to Windows 95.
- This is the first build to have an option to create an Emergency Repair Diskette, in some places also preliminary named "Emergency Maintenance Diskette". It was already available in build 297, but being grayed out.
- Command Prompt now uses the DOS prompt format (
C:\>) instead of what is seen in OS/2 (
- "NT Mode", which refers to the 32-bit protected mode of Windows NT, has been removed from the About box.
- This build adds support for NCR, Ultra and Western Digital SCSI adapters; the S3 graphics adapter[a] and the Novell NE2000 network adapter.
- Time zone configuration has been added to setup.
File differences[edit | edit source]
The following files have been introduced or removed compared to build 297:
|ADVAPI32.DLL||Advanced Windows 32 Base API||3.10|
|APP850.FON||Non-Windows application font for 386 enhanced mode (International code page 850)||3.10|
|DRIVERS.CPL||Control Panel Drivers applet||3.10|
|EGA40WOA.FON||Non-Windows application font for 386 enhanced mode (USA code page 437||3.10.061|
|EGA80WOA.FON||Non-Windows application font for 386 enhanced mode (USA code page 437||3.10.061|
|ET4000.SYS||ET4000 SVGA Miniport Driver||3.10|
|ET4000I.SYS||ET4000 SVGA Miniport Driver||3.10|
|MIDIMAP.CPL||Control Panel MIDI Mapper Applet||3.10|
|NETLOGON.DLL||Net Logon Services DLL||3.10|
|PIFEDIT.EXE||Windows Program Information File Editor application file||3.10|
|PSXDLL.DLL||Posix Client DLL||3.10|
|S3.DLL||S3 Display Driver||3.10|
|S3.SYS||s3 Miniport Driver||3.10|
|SNDBLST.DRV||MIDI and wave driver for Sound Blaster 1.5||3.10|
|TELNET.DLL||Sockets Telnet Driver DLL||3.10|
|V7VRAM.SYS||V7 VRAM SVGA Miniport Driver||3.10|
|VGA850.FON||VGA (640x480) resolution terminal font ( International codepage 850)||3.10|
|VGA860.FON||VGA (640x480) resolution terminal font ( Portuguese code page 860)||3.10|
|VGA861.FON||VGA (640x480) resolution terminal font (Icelandic code page 861)||3.10|
|VGA863.FON||VGA (640x480) resolution terminal font (French-Canadian code page 863)||3.10|
|VGA865.FON||VGA (640x480) resolution terminal font (Norwegian||3.10|
|VGA_ALT.SYS||VGA/Super VGA Video Driver||3.10|
|WINHLP32.EXE||Windows Help Engine application file||3|
|WRITE.EXE||Windows Write application file||3.10|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Miscellaneous[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The driver is compatible with the 86c911 and 86c924 graphics adapters, not with the 86c8xx line and the 86c928 adapter.