Windows Longhorn build 3718
|Build of Windows Longhorn|
|Timebomb||2003-11-14 (+360 days)|
Media Center Edition
Windows Longhorn build 3718 is the last Milestone 3 build of Windows Longhorn, which was shared online on 30 April 2004. It is very similar to build 3713 in features and functionality, albeit with a more stable Windows Explorer.
Changes[edit | edit source]
- Media Center is now referred as "Media Center" in Add or Remove Programs instead of "Freestyle".
Bugs and quirks[edit | edit source]
General[edit | edit source]
- Sometimes when the user logs in, the desktop wallpaper may be reset to none.
- DiskPart does not work and will tell the user that
This version of diskpart is not supported on this platform.
Media Center[edit | edit source]
- Once installed, it is impossible to uninstall Media Center. The only way to uninstall this is to reinstall Windows.
Installation[edit | edit source]
- When upgrading to this build, the boot menu entry is named
Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003 Setupdespite being an x86 build.
- This build cannot be installed on modern versions of VMware and VirtualBox when setting the OS type to "Windows XP Professional" , because it gives there a BSOD with error code
SESSION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED) To install it, set the OS to "Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition".
Control Panel[edit | edit source]
- Classic View is missing in the Control Panel and many applets are missing. Some of the Control Panel applets can be run by running their executable from Run or Command Prompt. However, if the user upgrades from a previous build and its Control Panel was on Classic View prior to the installation, then the Control Panel can be viewed in Classic View, but the user then cannot switch back to Default View. Alternatively, the Classic View can be enabled by opening Folder Options Control Panel Applet and choosing "Use Windows classic folders".
- If the
WebViewkey is deleted from
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer, the tasks pane will revert back to a Windows XP-esque task pane allowing the user to switch between classic and default views.
- Display Properties mentions the Luna theme as the Plex theme.
MyTVApp[edit | edit source]
MyTVApp now crashes when it is opened, although the Avalon Trust Manager still opens without problems.
Desktop Compositing Engine[edit | edit source]
Desktop Compositing Engine requires either compatible hardware or VMware Workstation 6.5.x to work (just 6.5x compatibility won't work), otherwise it will result in a black screen that can only be exited by a hard reset.
After installing the graphics driver, the user can enable DCE by opening Display Properties to change resolution/color depth and clicking Advanced. DCE can then be enabled through the "Desktop Compositing" settings at the bottom of the window. Make sure to set color depth to 32-bit because DCE might not work otherwise.
Tablet PC[edit | edit source]
The Tablet PC package is broken in this build, resulting in the Tablet PC component unable to install.
File differences[edit | edit source]
The following files have been introduced or removed compared to build 3713 Professional:
|wcpd.dll||XMF Processor||6.0.3713.0 (Lab06_N.021113-1841)|
|wcpddrv.dll||XMF Driver||6.0.3713.0 (Lab06_N.021113-1841)|
|wcpddui.dll||XMF Printer Driver Properties||6.0.3713.0 (Lab06_N.021113-1841)|