Windows 8 build 8045
|Build of Windows 8|
|Timebomb||2012-03-11 (+242 days)|
New features and changes[edit | edit source]
- The system crash screen has been redesigned to resemble the one found in the RTM build, albeit with a black background instead of a cerulean shade.
- The background in the wordoku puzzle desktop wallpaper has been changed to feature a set of colorful strands at the bottom of the image.
- The Refresh your PC option was added under the name Rejuvenate your PC.
- The loading animation has become larger and whiter in some occasions.
- Setup graphics have been updated to remove Windows 7 references.
- The ability to display verbose output during startup has been removed.
- The boot screen has been redesigned to feature a smaller loading spinner.
- When booting into Startup Repair, the spinner now reads "Preparing Automatic Repair".
- The right-hand Charms bar is now accessible again without the need of a touchscreen. It is accessible by pressing the ⊞ Win+⇧ Shift+C key combination.
- All SKUs have been dropped except for the Prerelease SKU, which is now referred to as "Windows Developer Preview".
- This build introduces an early version of the "Recovery" screen.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
If you are using VMware, you must set hardware compatibility to 8.x or below, otherwise you will get a screen which will say
Your computer needs to restart. Please hold down the power button, such as error
0x0000000A. This error would occur right when the system kernel takes over the startup process but immediately crashes.
Start screen[edit | edit source]
The Start screen appears to hide all tiles on boot, until you start interacting with them.
Lock screen[edit | edit source]
On boot, if the Start button has been removed, the lock screen may not display correctly (such as displaying nothing but the lock screen art, or not showing the date).
Microsoft Confidential in winver[edit | edit source]
On this build's
winver.exe dialog box, the text of the disclaimer is colored black instead of the red that is seen in earlier and later builds.