Windows 8.1 build 9431
|Build of Windows 8.1|
|Architecture||x86, x64, ARM32|
|Timebomb||2014-01-15 (+214 days)|
Windows 8.1 build 9431 is the official Preview build of Windows 8.1, also known as the Milestone Preview. This build was released on 26 June 2013 with the occasion of the Build 2013 conference taking place. At the time of its release, it was possible to upgrade to this build from a Windows 8 copy by using the Windows Store or by downloading an ISO from TechNet or MSDN. The ISOs were made publicly available the day after, on 27 June 2013 in multiple languages, when the day 2 keynote started. An ARM version of the build was also available, but it was only obtainable through the Microsoft Store (repair content packages were also made available).
Editions and keys[edit | edit source]
|Edition / SKU Name||Key|
|ProfessionalWMC (edition upgrade only)||MBFBV-W3DP2-2MVKN-PJCQD-KKTF7|
New features and changes[edit | edit source]
Start[edit | edit source]
- This is the first build to bring back the visible Start button after being absent since Windows 8 build 8186.
- An option to list desktop apps first in the apps view has been added.
- New customization options for the Start screen have been added.
- The default Start screen layout has been updated.
[edit | edit source]
This build adds several navigation-related options, the most notable being:
- An option to disable active corners.
- An option to go straight to the desktop when signing in.
- An option to replace Command Prompt with PowerShell in the ⊞ Win+X menu.
Apps[edit | edit source]
- Many apps have been updated to resemble their RTM counterparts.
- Help & Tips has been added, but isn't functional.
- Health & Fitness has been added.
- Movie Moments has been removed.
Miscellaneous[edit | edit source]
- The boot logo has been temporarily changed to a minimalist betta fish.
- The OOBE has a new color picker, which is similar to the one found in the RTM.
- A new default lock screen background is included.
Findings[edit | edit source]
SkyDrive[edit | edit source]
This build's SkyDrive client has several notable registry entries. Apart from the previous SkyDrivePagesTest value (which work in all available builds), eight other registry values exist in this build. This makes the complete list look like this:
This version also includes a
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SkyDriveOptIn key with two values: Brand & OptIn choice, implying that there were plans for a SkyDrive subscription service at the time of this build. Setting Brand to 1 will cause the SkyDrive app to rebrand itself as Microsoft Drive, which showed the possibility of a name change (a result of the then recent BSkyB vs SkyDrive lawsuit; the new name produced from the suit ended up being OneDrive).
SkyDriveTest registry value[edit | edit source]
When turned on, the Storage page in the SkyDrive category in system settings will not load, not even make a request. Everything else seems to work the same.
Best used with
Legacy Internet Explorer F12 tools[edit | edit source]
If you want to get the old F12 tools back, just create or change these two DWORD's in the registry to 1:
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Setup[edit | edit source]
Out-of-box experience[edit | edit source]
Interface[edit | edit source]
ARM version[edit | edit source]