Windows 10 build 21286
|Build of Windows 10 Cobalt|
|Architecture||x86, x64, ARM64|
|Timebomb||2021-10-31 (+317 days)|
Home Single Language
Pro Single Language
Pro China Only
Pro Education N
Pro for Workstations
Pro N for Workstations
Enterprise G N
Enterprise N Evaluation
Windows 10 build 21286 is the second Insider Preview build of Cobalt. This build was released on 6 January 2021 to all Windows Insiders on the Dev Channel.
Changes[edit | edit source]
Some of these changes were only available to a small group of Insiders, meaning that not everyone was seeing them right out of the box. They're completely rolled out to all Windows Insiders on the Dev Channel starting with build 21359.
- A new flyout named News and interests has been added to the taskbar, which allows quick access to an integrated feed of dynamic content such as news and weather.
- Storage Spaces can now be managed on Settings → System → Storage. However, the Control Panel page is still available.
- Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 distros can now be configured to run any specified Linux command at startup. This can be accomplished by editing the
/etc/wsl.conffile in the distribution and adding an option titled
commandunder a section titled
- Some updates have been done for users that have configured the time zone to be set automatically in Settings → Time and Language → Date & time:
- When the time zone is updated due to a high confidence detected location change, a notification will appear informing the user about it. The toast will include information about the new time zone and clicking it will open the aforementioned page in Settings.
- If a low confidence location change is detected and there is a single administrator on the device, a notification will appear asking the user to update the time zone, and clicking the OK option will apply the change.
Enabling News and interests[edit | edit source]
The News and interests feature was introduced in a controlled rollout, which includes it being disabled on clean installations. To enable it, make sure to have the new Microsoft Edge installed, have the system region set to United States, Canada, Great Britain, Australia, or India, and use Vibranium Velocity/ViVeTool to run the following commands from an elevated Command Prompt window:
vivetool addconfig 29947361 2 vivetool addconfig 27833282 2 vivetool addconfig 27368843 2 vivetool addconfig 28247353 2 vivetool addconfig 27371092 2 vivetool addconfig 27371152 2 vivetool addconfig 30803283 2 vivetool addconfig 30213886 2
Bugs[edit | edit source]
News and interests[edit | edit source]
- The flyout may show as offline even when the user is online.
- Users cannot navigate into the news and interests flyout using keyboard.
- In some scenarios, the flyout may appear empty with no content.
- Sometimes the flyout cannot be dismissed with touch and pen.
- The flyout uses more taskbar space on the left than expected.
General[edit | edit source]
- The update process to this build has a chance of hanging for extended periods of time.
- Games such as State of Decay 2 or Assassin’s Creed may hang or crash when launching.
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Black Ops Cold War may not launch starting with this build.
- Some rendering / graphic issues may be experienced after resizing certain app windows. This should be resolved after minimizing and restoring all windows by using the Win+D hotkey twice.
- Some 32-bit systems may lose network connection after upgrading to this build.
- When Xbox Game Bar is launched from the Start menu or via the Win+G hotkey while using a text editor, the computer may appear unresponsive. If you encounter this, dismiss the bar with the same hotkey and end the
GameBar.exeprocess from Task Manager.
- Miracast users may experience very low frame rates in this build.
Explorer.exemight hang or crash in this build.
- Live preview doesn't work for pinned site tabs on some machines, a gray window is seen instead of the intended content.
- Aero Shake is disabled in this build. To enable it again, merge the following to the registry and restart
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced] "DisallowShaking"=dword:00000000