Microsoft Cairo build 1175
|Build of Microsoft Cairo|
|Windows NT 4.0 build 1175.1|
Microsoft Cairo build 1175 is a late build of Microsoft Cairo, based on the core of Windows NT 4.0 build 1175. This build was uploaded to BetaArchive on 17 March 2017, but was originally uploaded to warez BBSes by Dark Lord of warez group PWA on 5 December 1995. Due to having
MSTOOLS folders in the
I386 directory of the installation media as well as compiler-output file
CHKFILE.BLD listing checksums for each file, this build came directly from MS build servers at the time. The build notably integrates Cairo Object File System support into the build, alongside some updated components for Cairo, such as domain support and an updated login screen.
CHKFILE.BLD also proves Cairo components were built separately (to a
CAIRO folder) and then copied over the base build, something that happened again with Neptune four years later.
New features and changes[edit | edit source]
Shell features[edit | edit source]
- The Object File System is implemented in this build (under the file
OFS.SYS). It is the largest file in this build and is prone to instability due to its incompleteness.
- This build notably contains a completely revamped login screen, which shows the Ctrl+Alt+Del shortcut to login in a graphical appearance.
Application features[edit | edit source]
- This build contains an additional disk utility (
REPART.EXE) intended for OFS partitions.
- Summary Catalog Client (
SCTOOL.EXE) is included to create summary catalogs.
- Replication Metadata Analyzer 2.0 (
REPLANAL.EXE) is added and functions similarly to the Summary Catalog Client.
- A SINGLE utility is included (
SINGLE.EXE), but its function is unknown.
Setup features[edit | edit source]
- During the start of network setup, the setup will ask for a drive to format to OFS.
- Near the end of the setup, it will ask the user to choose whether to install a Domain Controller or Server. If Domain Controller is selected, the user can choose to install FirstDC as the domain controller type.
Bugs and quirks[edit | edit source]
REPART.EXEtriggers a bug in the Option ROM of the NCR 810 SCSI controller on some systems (all-caps strings warn against its use on unknown Dell systems of the era), leading to an unbootable system if used on the boot drive.
- When viewing a folder which contains font files, such as the i386 installation folder, these are rendered as Fonts system folder, hiding all other file types contained.
Installation[edit | edit source]
- This build requires two FAT16 partitions before starting the GUI setup, as network setup will require a partition to format to OFS. Attempting to install without an OFS partition may result in the setup refusing to continue or a system crash upon rebooting after the GUI setup. If the bootloader is on an OFS partition, the build will hang on boot.
- The setup itself is started under MS-DOS via command
winnt /B. Users of a Windows 95 (or later) boot disk with CD-ROM support might need to enter the command
lockfirst and confirm the question with
Y, to enable direct disk access for the NT setup, otherwise it will fail.
- It is suggested to use the machine name mikeke33 and username mikeke wherever asked to avoid issues during the login.
- On the Primary Domain Controller dialog, you must press Alt+F4 to close the window as it is impossible to get past it due to an "Unable to update local security in order to join domain" error.
- Also during setup, you can choose to install Domain Controller (DC) or Server on the Select Cairo Install Type. You should select Domain Controller and then FirstDC as the domain controller type - leave the domain and OU name unchanged.
- After the installation finishes and you are ready to log into the system, use the username entered during setup (as suggested mikeke) for both the username and password. If you installed the Domain Controller, leave the "From" section as it is (
\msft\redmond\bsd\dev\), otherwise (installed as Server) use the computer name (as suggested mikeke33) entered during setup.
- During domain controller initialization, the system may bugcheck with
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP. Just restart and try logging in again.
More info on how to install in the BetaArchive forum.
The first time you load
EXPLORER.EXE respectively login on each boot, you must use Ctrl+Alt+Del and log off again, since each time Explorer loads for the first time after startup, it will hang loading.
You can then log in again normally and NT Explorer should load. However, functions in Explorer such as changing the background, regional options or Plus! settings can cause it to hang randomly and force you to log out and back in again to regain control due to the yet very limited Task List capabilities of this build.
File differences[edit | edit source]
The following files have been introduced compared to SUR build 1175.1:
|accctrl.dll||OLE ACL control||4.00|
|account.dll||DS Object Security Code||4.00|
|alertsys.exe||Alert System Service||4.00|
|autocmpt.exe||FAT Compaction Utility||4.00|
|autorprt.exe||FAT Repart Utility||4.00|
|cairostd.exe||DSYS Standalone Workstation Setup||4.00|
|cidaemon.exe||OFS CI filter daemon||4.00|
|cifilter.exe||OFS CI filter service||4.00|
|cnvntfs.dll||NTFS File System Conversion Utility DLL||4.00|
|conexts.dll||CONSOLE Symbolic Debugger Extensions||4.00|
|cxxflt.dll||OFS CI C++ filter||4.00|
|dfs.sys||Windows NT Distributed File System Driver||4.00|
|dfsinstr.dll||Windows NT Dfs Performance Monitor Extension||4.00|
|dfsprov.dll||Windows NT Distributed File System MPR Provider||4.00|
|dfsshare.exe||Windows NT Dfs Share Utility||4.00|
|dsmail.dll||DS Object Backend Mail OLE Server Code||4.00|
|dsmgr.exe||DS Manager Tool||4.00|
|dsobjs.dll||DS Object Frontend OLE Server Code||4.00|
|dsrepl.exe||Windows NT Replication DSREPL Utility||4.00|
|dssrv.dll||DS Object Backend OLE Server Code||4.00|
|dsui.dll||DS Object UI Components||4.00|
|dsys.dll||DSYS Common Code||4.00|
|dsyssvr.exe||DS Object Backend OLE Server||4.00|
|fatcmpct.exe||FAT Compaction Utility||4.00|
|gctool.exe||Windows NT Global Catalog Utility||4.00|
|joindom.exe||DSYS Tool to Join a Workstation to a Cairo Domain||4.00|
|joinrset.exe||Windows NT Replication JOINRSET Utility||4.00|
|kdc.exe||Security Service Controller||4.00|
|kerberos.dll||Kerberos Security Package||4.00|
|logobj.exe||Alert Log Object||4.00|
|logui.exe||Alert Log Viewer||4.00|
|makedc.exe||DSYS Domain Controller Setup||4.00|
|mkrcon.exe||Windows NT Replication MKRCON Utility||4.00|
|mkrobj.exe||Windows NT Replication MKROBJ Utility||4.00|
|mkrset.exe||Windows NT Replication MKRSET Utility||4.00|
|ntlm.dll||Windows NT NTLM Security Package||4.00|
|ofs.sys||Da' real OFS driver||4.00|
|ofscnvt.exe||FAT To OFS Conversion Utility||4.00|
|ofsutil.dll||OFS Utility DLL||4.00|
|ora.dll||Windows NT Cairo OFS ReplStore||4.00|
|oramon.dll||Windows NT CairoOra Perfmon DLL||4.00|
|orasvc.exe||Windows NT Cairo Replication Service||4.00|
|query.dll||OFS query and content indexing library||4.00|
|repart.exe||FAT Repartitioning Utility||4.00|
|repl.exe||Windows NT Replication REPL Utility||4.00|
|samlsa.dll||Windows NT SAM and LSA server||4.00|
|sccfa.dll||Inso Corp. File Access DLL for iFilter||4.00|
|sccfi.dll||Inso Corp. File Identification DLL for iFilter||4.00|
|sccifilt.dll||Inso Corp. iFilter DLL||4.00|
|sccut.dll||Inso Corp. Utility DLL for iFilter||4.00|
|sctool.exe||Windows NT Summary Catalog Client||4.00|
|single.exe||Windows NT Replication SINGLE Utility||4.00|
|smctrls.dll||Windows NT System Management Controls||4.00|
|spmgr.exe||Security Package Manager||4.00|
|sumcat.dll||Windows NT Summary Catalog||4.00|
|symhelp.dll||Windows NT Symbol Helper||4.00|
|ulibif.dll||ULIB Interface DLL||4.00|
|uofs.dll||Ofs Utilities Dll||4.00|