Windows Vista build 5231
|Build of Windows Vista|
|Timebomb||2006-05-31 (+261 days)|
Editions and keys[edit | edit source]
|Edition / SKU Name||Key|
|Home Basic N||CDV26-DG6DG-7DY4J-GHXPR-W8YMT|
|Professional Standard N||KFBH3-BX3DC-9YFWJ-Y9D7V-TPCJY|
Setup[edit | edit source]
Setup has received minor uplifts compared to previous builds of Vista. For starters, the fonts used in both the first section of setup and the hardware portion have been changed. There is also a new fading animation whilst switching between pages in the first section of setup. The "your installation summary" page has also been removed, and its subpages are now just generic pages shown after going past the upgrade page. The progress bar on the hardware portion stage of setup now increases in size depending on how far you actually get with setup.
New features and changes[edit | edit source]
- Upon booting into Windows, a boot manager prompt will show by default, giving you the option to boot into this build of Vista, or to boot into a legacy Windows release (otherwise a release of Windows that is based upon NTLDR, rather than BOOTMGR).
- The Avalon/Indigo IE 7 icon on the desktop has been removed.
- Windows Media Player 11. This version of WMP now supports real-time searches.
- Reliability Monitor.
- A new volume control app. It allows the volume to be set independently.
- Network Connections and Saved Networks were introduced. The taskbar has a tray icon for Network Connections in this build.
- This build is the first build to support the IPv6 protocol.
- Windows Memory Diagnostics and Windows Disk Diagnostics were added.
- Windows Mobility Center was added.
- Power management options were added into Power Options control panel applet.
- Help and Support gets an updated look.
Internet Explorer[edit | edit source]
Internet Explorer 7 has received a few minor uplifts. Some icons (such as the loading website icon found on each tab) has been replaced with a green ring spinning around, having a similar concept as the Aero waiting cursor. A new certificates page has been added, which can be seen when accessing pages with invalid certificates.
DWM[edit | edit source]
The Aero theme when DWM is initialized has received a few minor uplifts. The program buttons on the top-right are slightly lighter when the cursor isn't hovering over them. A transitioning effect is also utilized if moving your cursor on top of the buttons, and the glowing effect now mostly resembles that of RTM.
Bugs and quirks[edit | edit source]
Installation[edit | edit source]
Taskbar[edit | edit source]
- If DWM is enabled, the font on the start button is bolder than usual.
- If the theme is set to Windows Classic and then reverted to Aero, parts of a taskbar reminiscent of the one seen in build 5048 may be seen.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Windows Classic theme