Windows Longhorn build 4039
|Build of Windows Longhorn|
|Timebomb||2004-02-24 (+181 days)|
Windows Longhorn build 4039 is a build of the Microsoft Windows Longhorn operating system. For all its instabilities, the Desktop Composition Engine is known to work in this build and can even render the Windows Aero transparency, although it is extremely buggy. The fix can be found on the TCB page for this build.
New features and changes
- This build is one of the first to contain the complete setup inside the
- Setup has been modified to contain the step-by-step progress bar on the bottom that resembles the ones that would be used in later builds, although in the style of Plex.
- The Plex theme has been updated, and Explorer windows have somewhat been updated, despite being unstable as a result.
- The time zone is listed on the clock tile in the Windows Sidebar.
- This build is one of the first to include a working version of the Windows Aero visual style. While builds 4032 and 4033 had these borders, they had a bug that forces CPU processing instead of hardware processing. It can be enabled with the
sbctl startcommand, although it requires a compatible graphics driver.
- A prototype of the Phodeo feature is included in this build.
- A new Communication History shell folder is also implemented.
- Outlook Express 7 - depends on WinFS.
- WinFS - it is composed of some services, which can be stopped. It mostly causes memory leaks.
Some copies of this build's installation media cannot be booted normally due to a call to a non-existent index in the
SETUPLDR.BIN. To install this build in this case, either upgrade from a previous build or use a WinPE from a previous build.