Windows Server 2012 build 7788
|Build of Windows Server 2012|
|Timebomb||2010-10-01 (+66 days)|
Datacenter Server (Core)
Windows Server 2012 build 7788 is a build of Windows Server 2012, which was uploaded on 24 June 2022. It is the earliest available server build to include the Redpill feature locking mechanism and a confidential build warning in the watermark.
Editions and keys[edit | edit source]
|Enterprise + EnterpriseCore||7P8GH-FV2FF-8FDCR-YK49D-D7P97|
|Datacenter + DatacenterCore (edition upgrade only)||7X29B-RDCR7-J6R29-K27FF-H9CR9|
This build is one of the earliest to contain the Redpill feature locking mechanism, which hides most features found in builds of Windows 8 (and its server counterpart). Most Redpill features that are present in this build do not possess any real functionality or do not properly function.
New features and changes[edit | edit source]
- The Aero theme's background image has been changed to a blue gradient with a green tint at the lower right, with a message at the top advising Microsoft employees not to leak this build.
- The Windows Classic color scheme from Windows 98 is now used as the default visual style.
- Changed the default desktop background color again to the one used in Windows Server 2008.
- Added the Microsoft Confidential disclaimer to the desktop and
- This build is the earliest known build to use a Windows Boot Application,
hvloader.exe, to start Hyper-V before the NT kernel.
- The EULA has been changed to state the product name as "Microsoft Windows Server Code Name '8'" with a EULA ID of "Win8_M1".
- Support for the Paravirtualized USB Bus from Windows Virtual PC has been removed.
- A new User Tile has been added, which just displays the user's current profile picture in this build. It can be disabled just like any other taskbar element.
Language profiles[edit | edit source]
The ability to manage installed languages through the use of a dedicated Control Panel page has been added, although its interface is rather primitive at this point of development.
ISO mounting[edit | edit source]
This build is the first build to introduce built-in support for mounting ISO files.
Hybrid Boot[edit | edit source]
Hybrid boot has been introduced in this build, owing to the fact that this build originates from a kernel branch.
Multi-monitor taskbar[edit | edit source]
The taskbar is now supported on multiple monitors. The taskbar does not have a start button on monitors that are not the primary monitor but will display program icons.
Aero Lite[edit | edit source]
Auto-Colorization[edit | edit source]
The ability to automatically change the window color based on the background has been added. It can be enabled by appending
AutoColorization=1 to the end of the Aero theme's
VBE 2.0 Bugcheck[edit | edit source]
The bugcheck screen has been updated to support the VBE 2.0 extensions. The system must crash during boot in order for the new version of the crash screen to appear.
Hyper-V Virtual PCI Bus[edit | edit source]
This is the earliest available Windows Server build to support the Hyper-V Paravirtualized PCI bus (VSP, VSC, and PCIP stub) in order to facilitate SR-IOV networking.
PDF Reader[edit | edit source]
This is the first build to include the PDF Reader application. However, it is named
PDFReader.exe instead of
glcnd.exe (as in later builds) and will crash if an argument for a PDF to display is not provided. It will not render the PDF if an argument is provided.
Bugs and quirks[edit | edit source]
This build is fairly buggy due to a lot of reverse integration happening around the time of its compile.
Hardware compatibilities[edit | edit source]
To install or run this build in VMware Workstation 16 or newer, you must set the hardware compatibility to versions 11.x or lower since it hangs on "Starting Windows" bootscreen when set to 14.x and later versions.
General[edit | edit source]
- This build includes a non-functional XHCI driver and will not boot if USB 3.0 is enabled. Disabling USB 3.0 from the VM configuration (or through the physical machine's BIOS/EFI firmware) will allow the build to boot normally.
- The WIM has logs and remnants indicating that when the WIM was created, the pseudolocalized language pack was installed (at 04:06:29 for index 1), then removed (at 04:21:33), then the English language pack was installed (at 05:04:31).
- A triple fault occurs during boot in VirtualBox unless paravirtualization is disabled.
- The default user account creation UI (
nusrmgr.cpl) does not work in this build. Either the
net usercommand or the Local Users or Groups MMC snap-in (
lusrmgr.msc) must be used to create new accounts.
- The User tile does nothing when clicked.
- Enabling Hyper-V inside a VM with nested virtualization enabled will result in a triple fault.
- If the Aero theme is applied, Windows Classic theme does not function anymore.
Redpill[edit | edit source]
- The ribbon shows all possible options at all times.
- The Start screen will not render tiles unless you are using period-correct drivers and not the Administrator account. Nobody thus far has got it to render.
- The Start Screen shows up as an Explorer window. It can only be closed by hitting Alt+F4, although the start screen cannot be brought up again with the ⊞ Win key.
- The Start Screen does not have anything pinned to it by default. The user has to pin items to it manually.
Multi-monitor Taskbar[edit | edit source]
- Unlike client build 7779, only the first two monitors will show the taskbar.
- Changing the screen resolution of the second monitor will cause the taskbar appearing as a large white line and the wallpaper will not be correctly resized. Restarting
explorer.exewill fix these issues.
- The Metro Horizon will only be displayed on the main monitor, with additional monitors showing the ImmersiveBackgroundWindow fallback.
- After an app is closed, the program's icon will still appear on the second monitor's taskbar unless a new program is dragged to the second monitor.