Windows 8 build 8008
|Build of Windows 8|
|Timebomb||2012-03-15 (+302 days)|
Windows 8 build 8008 is a build of Windows 8, which was uploaded to BetaArchive on 29 January 2020 as an x86 checked/debug version. It is not compatible with Metro Unlocker v4 - it can only be unlocked using Redlock. This is also the first build to contain references to the Developer Preview branding, although it can only be seen in the Setup when run from the operating system itself.
The wordoku puzzle desktop wallpaper was tweaked again in this build. The background color is now dark to light blue and the wave looks much more smaller and less glossier than the previous version.
Setup[edit | edit source]
- When booting from the installation media, the
Windows is loading filestext has been changed to simply
Loading filesand it is now left aligned. Additionally,
Welcomehas been added above.
- When starting setup, the messages "Setup is starting" and "Setup is copying temporary files", "Installing Windows" and "Upgrading Windows" are now displayed on the bottom instead of the center.
- The second stage is now identical to the boot screen.
- There are many changes to the modern setup client (
- The splash screen has "8" being dropped, leaving only "Windows".
- The background color is now blue with gradients to a more lighter blue on the top and bottom edges.
- The installation stage is now in full screen and "Windows 8" references have been changed to "Windows Developer Preview".
Editions and keys[edit | edit source]
|Edition / SKU||Key|
|Prerelease (edition upgrade only)||VKKC6-NQQQH-JW3QX-XRVKX-KJJK9|
Changes[edit | edit source]
The taskbar user tile has been removed.
Redpill[edit | edit source]
Significant changes have occurred since 8002.
- The Charms bar is now black, and an additional smaller Charms menu on the left side has been introduced, and the right-hand side Charms bar is now only accessible if a touchscreen is present by default. The Switch charm has been removed, switching between apps being done by dragging from the left side of the screen.
- The Metro UI animations have been updated, and the language applet is now functional.
- The fish pattern was removed from the Metro login screen.
- The OOBE color slider is now visible, but it will disappear again when selecting a color. Additionally, the Ease of Access icon received its final appearance.
- The appearance of the placeholder icons in the ribbon of File Explorer has been changed. These are no longer orange circles, but dark green ones which resemble the O in the middle of the 1982 Microsoft logo.
- The link to create a pattern for login in the "User Accounts" control panel applet no longer works. Additionally, the Change your look option has been removed.
- The appearance of the Show desktop button has been slightly updated, whilist build is redpilled.
Charms bar accessibility[edit | edit source]
- To enable the right-hand charms bar on a non-touchscreen device, open Registry Editor and then navigate to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell. Once there, create a DWORD value called
CharmBarModeand then set its value to 1.
Login screen[edit | edit source]
- This build adds "Microsoft Confidential" into the middle bottom of the screen, which is similar to the implementation in Windows 7, however, it appears only on the Metro login screen. It would be later changed to "Windows Developer Preview" and added to traditional login screen as well in build 8032.
Bugs and quirks[edit | edit source]
Compatibility[edit | edit source]
To install or run this build in VMware Workstation, the hardware compatibility version must be set to versions 8.x/9.x; otherwise, a bugcheck will occur.
Setup[edit | edit source]
Setup may not automatically reboot the computer during installation; a hard reset may be required in order to continue.
Metro UI[edit | edit source]
Changing the screen resolution when this build is redpilled may result in visual artifacts presenting themselves across the Metro user interface; these can be resolved by restarting Explorer.
Password bug on Metro login[edit | edit source]
When using the password reveal feature on the Metro login screen, the text appears scrambled, consisting of a mixture of letters and symbols from various languages such as Arabic, Japanese, Korean and Chinese.
Aero Glass in Starter and Home Basic[edit | edit source]
This build automatically enables Aero Glass transparency even when installing the Starter and Home Basic SKUs, which is not supported by default. However, changing the color scheme (visual style) to another one and then back to the default one will disable Aero Glass.
Creating account when redpilled[edit | edit source]
When creating an account when the build is redpilled, it asks for a Windows Live ID account. You can put any account or gibberish with @anything.com for example without errors but you have to put a password, meaning that the account won't be used thanks to the password bug.
PDF Reader[edit | edit source]
The PDF Reader (
glcnd.exe) in this build is named "WinRT UI Window" and cannot be closed using the Close button on the program. To close it, use the taskbar or press Alt+F4.
Disabling DWM[edit | edit source]
- When disabling DWM in this build:
- The Explorer may turn black.
- If a Metro application is open (like Settings), the user may not be able to close the app.
MS Help[edit | edit source]
MS Help doesn't work in this build since it crashes Explorer when opening it.