Windows 8 build 8008
|Build of Windows 8|
|Timebomb||2012-03-15 (+302 days)|
Windows 8 build 8008 is a build of Windows 8, which was uploaded to BetaArchive on 29 January 2020 as an x86 checked/debug version. It is not compatible with Metro Unlocker v4 - it can only be unlocked using Redlock. This is also the first build to contain references to the Developer Preview branding, although it can only be seen in the Setup when run from the operating system itself.
Editions and keys[edit | edit source]
|Edition / SKU Name||Key|
|Prerelease (edition upgrade only)||VKKC6-NQQQH-JW3QX-XRVKX-KJJK9|
Redpill[edit | edit source]
Significant changes have occurred since 8002.
- The Charms bar is now black, and an additional smaller Charms menu on the left side has been introduced, and the right-hand side Charms bar is now only accessible if a touchscreen is present by default. The Switch charm has been removed, switching between apps being done by dragging from the left side of the screen.
- The Metro UI animations have been updated, and the language applet is now functional.
- The fish pattern was removed from the Metro login screen.
- The OOBE color slider is now visible.
- The taskbar user tile has been removed.
Charms bar accessibility[edit | edit source]
- To enable the right-hand charms bar on a non touchscreen device, open Registry Editor and then navigate to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell. Once there, create a DWORD value called
CharmBarModeand then set its value to 1.
Bugs and quirks[edit | edit source]
- Sometimes the setup does not reboot automatically after install finishes, you must reboot manually to continue the setup.
- If you are going to install on VMware, use VMware 9.x or 8.x compatibility. Otherwise, this build will either refuse to boot or encounter many serious errors. Specifically, a screen which will say "Your computer needs to restart. Please hold down the power button", such as error 0x0000001E or 0x0000000A. This error would occur right when the system kernel takes over the startup process but immediately crashes.
- Changing the resolution (when this build is unlocked) can cause the rendering of the display to glitch, such as showing broken images of the start screen. This can be fixed by logging out and logging back in.