Windows 2000 build 1575.1
|Build of Windows 2000|
New features[edit | edit source]
- Explorer has been updated to use an internet interface.
- The "Show Desktop" button on the taskbar has been removed.
- Channels has been added to the taskbar which opens an Active Desktop browser.
- The active desktop background has been removed but the Active Channels banner stays, although it is nonfunctional.
- Like build 1515.1, most NT 4.0 references have been replaced with NT 5.0. However, many parts of the interface are still very similar to NT 4.0.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
Installation[edit | edit source]
The OS Loader has a bug during setup that it tries to load
NTLDR, but since
$LDR$ installs instead, it will be stuck on the OS Loader in an infinite loop. Editing the boot sector file (
BOOTSECT.DAT) to boot from
$LDR$ will allow setup to continue.
This can be done using any MS-DOS boot disk with
EDIT.COM. At the prompt, type
edit /80 C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT and change the first
NTLDR in the file to
$LDR$. Save the file, remove the disk, restart and the installation should continue as usual. Note that this procedure isn't needed if one uses SCSI.
This build also cannot be upgraded from Windows NT 4.0 with
WINNT32.EXE. If upgraded, during the text mode setup it will request for the Windows NT 4.0 CD, and then when the Windows NT 4.0 CD is inserted, the setup instantly crashes with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.
Windows Explorer[edit | edit source]
Windows Explorer doesn't have a very good graphics rendering engine as there is a graphical bug where anything dragged over Explorer windows will remain on the background of the Explorer window. This does not affect folders with custom background. Disabling Web View (by setting to "Display standard appearance" in the View tab in Options dialog from View menu) fixes this problem.